What is this speckled film on the surface of my mixing station?

youramigojake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in the reefing hobby for 6 years now, and have discovered something I’ve never seen. I finished building my 32 gallon brute trash can mixing station 4 days ago and cleaned it thoroughly to get rid of all the impurities. The salt water has been mixing for 4ish days and built up this speckled film the surface and I don’t know if it’s harmful or not. My rodi water is 0 tds and I use fritz salt (red box) I’ve been Mixing this brand salt for 2 years consistently and haven’t seen this before. Any ideas?
FF005166-1BFB-4B41-975B-152594DABB92.jpeg
25161BBE-343D-44C9-921F-FEB34F5D5E3D.jpeg

OP
OP
youramigojake

youramigojake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I put a paper towel to the surface and when I pulled it out, the specs were shiny like salt and white like hardened salt. I moved the pump around and they seamed to have dissolved for now. Still any ideas?

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like shavings from cutting PVC pipe. Is this the first time you have filled it since putting it all together?

OP
OP
youramigojake

youramigojake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like shavings from cutting PVC pipe. Is this the first time you have filled it since putting it all together?
Hello! Before I glued the pvc together I made sure to clean off all the shavings under some water and even did a freshwater rinse after cleaning the can just to make sure none were left. Could it be salt calcification from adding the salt too quickly maybe?

Back