What is this stuff? Snake oil?

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying it out right now because it says it kills bubble algae, I have a massive outbreak in my lagoon. First dose day before yesterday, no change really.... I will let you know after another week if knocks out the bubble algae. I'm going to dose a little less than the full amount every three days. I really don't want to do a complete breakdown.

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not.. it is not straight peroxide, and has a medium to high viscosity like lanthium chloride..

OP
OP
Reeflogic

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, well keep us posted! Hey, I'm glad we have some good souls out there brave enough to test stuff! I've been using the Kent Tech M method to kill off a bryopsis outbreak and nobody "really" knows what is in Kent Tech M that actually kills the algae and my strain of bryopsis does not seem to care that my mag levels are at 1700+ for a month now lol. If you have success with it Kv69, I might have to give it a try. It seems to good to be true....

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ingredients and you're using it?! Brave soul. Good luck

I talked to the owner a couple of times before I made the purchase. He wouldn't tell me what is in it but he said it was worth a try to eradicate the bubble algae... its quite bad and a breakdown and scrub with peroxide is going to be a massive undertaking... so i pulled the trigger.
20160312_101608.jpg

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, well keep us posted! Hey, I'm glad we have some good souls out there brave enough to test stuff! I've been using the Kent Tech M method to kill off a bryopsis outbreak and nobody "really" knows what is in Kent Tech M that actually kills the algae and my strain of bryopsis does not seem to care that my mag levels are at 1700+ for a month now lol. If you have success with it Kv69, I might have to give it a try. It seems to good to be true....

They say the tech M is high in Magnesium, I think....

If it doesn't show any signs of improvement after 3 treatments, I'll be doing the full breakdown.

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you could inject peroxide directly on the bryopsis with a old syringe from a old test kit. The peroxide is actually heavier than SW, so if you could turn your flow down for a bit and let it sit on a section you may have some success.

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, tech m IS magnesium. But there's an impurity in it that can kill bryopsis.

Also, of course the guy will say it's worth a try - he's selling it. Regardless, good luck and post results.

If it is, in fact, a reef safe valonia algaecide, then they will soon be rich.

OP
OP
Reeflogic

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, folks that use other brands of magnesium do not have success with elevated levels against bryospsis, it seems to boil down to Kent's "formula" and again, some strains are not affected by it, which appears to be my case. Oddly enough, I am in the exact situation as you, I'm at that crossroads of pulling rocks out and treating with peroxide, which will be a major chore. I have a few patches of bryopsis, in areas that are near impossible to completely eradicate from manual removal. It has now started to show up in new areas and I have my nutrients in check, which is driving me nuts. I'm willing to throw in the towel and try a snake oil if it will kill this crap!!

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, tech m IS magnesium. But there's an impurity in it that can kill bryopsis.

Also, of course the guy will say it's worth a try - he's selling it. Regardless, good luck and post results.

If it is, in fact, a reef safe valonia algaecide, then they will soon be rich.

LOL my sentiments exactly.. Needless to say, I'm gearing up for a teardown..

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed again on day 6. It may be my last dose though... it seems that some of my palys and zoas don't like it. Especially the CAO's and, bowsers... upside- rocks seem cleaner, some pesky algae spots in my DT have begun to wither away. Didn't work on the bubble algae in the lagoon very well..

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using vibrant in my frag tank for about a month and I have had great results but all I had was diatoms and hair algae. plus the tank is high nutrients, now it took a week and half to start but its doing good so far.

OP
OP
Reeflogic

Reeflogic