What is this stuff? Snake oil?

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what I have heard, the "impurity" in kent techM that was effective at killing bryopsis, is no longer in the product and techM is no longer an effective solution. are you having this experience or find it to be working?

I heard that too. But it helped with the bryopsis issue in my nem tank. But the outbreak might have had more to do with my dangerously low mag levels and the resulting imbalances related to that, than the presence of the said "impurities" in tech-M. Not sure.

OP
OP
Reeflogic

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way I could get rid of bryopsis way to dose peroxide for a month. My corals seemed a lot healthier while dosing also and bryospsis on the 2nd week was starting to fade fast.

Do you have any info on how you treated with peroxide? I attempted to syringe dose on top of one of the patches and once it mixes with water my BTA's freaked out, so it makes me nervous, but if it works, I may give it a try!

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I do this is just how I dosed it in my system basically because I have a lot of inverts and clams that I was afraid of irritating but had no problems with how I dosed, some say its too low of amount but worked great for me. I used a 3% peroxide that I purchased from Target and dose 1.5Ml per day for 1 week, the 2nd week I upped it to 3Ml per day, 3rd week 5Ml per day, 4th week 5Ml per day then on the Last day of the 4th week I do a 30% water change and look at progress, if its still there you can always go back to 3Ml per day, and work your self over a week into 5Ml a day until gone. This is Based on a true 50G of saltwater so adjust as necessary

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this with a lot of different types of algae and it works wonders, and has helped with friends tanks as well.

OP
OP
Reeflogic

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, sir!! Going to start up ASAP! I just did some rock dips and manually removed as much as I could get to, on Monday, so now would be a perfect time. It's not like I'm overrun with it, but the 3 or 4 patches are ANNOYING and I know it's just a matter of time before it's EVERYWHERE!!

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, sir!! Going to start up ASAP! I just did some rock dips and manually removed as much as I could get to, on Monday, so now would be a perfect time. It's not like I'm overrun with it, but the 3 or 4 patches are ANNOYING and I know it's just a matter of time before it's EVERYWHERE!!
Yea I understand I had a patch and was like nope nope nope gotta kill it before it goes crazy lol

OP
OP
Reeflogic

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some more reading and found people recommending 1ml per 10g, so I played it safe and dosed 10ml (I have roughly 150g), but I think I may drop it to like 6 or so ml for the next 6 days, similar to your dosage, basically doubling it. I have some brittle stars, lots of nems, clam, and other inverts that I really don't want dead!!

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some more reading and found people recommending 1ml per 10g, so I played it safe and dosed 10ml (I have roughly 150g), but I think I may drop it to like 6 or so ml for the next 6 days, similar to your dosage, basically doubling it. I have some brittle stars, lots of nems, clam, and other inverts that I really don't want dead!!
Yea like I said mine is kinda a watered down dosing setup and you are right I have seen the same dosing I'm just a worry wart and tweaked it cause I had like 6 Clams and a few rare Starfish that I just was scared about lol, id assume the other dosing would be a lot faster. Let me know how it works out Bryopsis can be a pain.

OP
OP
Reeflogic

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed again on day 6. It may be my last dose though... it seems that some of my palys and zoas don't like it. Especially the CAO's and, bowsers... upside- rocks seem cleaner, some pesky algae spots in my DT have begun to wither away. Didn't work on the bubble algae in the lagoon very well..

Any changes over the last few days, since your last dose? Z & P's still irritated? Any final thoughts on its effectiveness, or lack thereof? I've been dosing peroxide the last few days, hoping my problems might soon be solved, but still curious about this product and whether I need to check it off as ineffective haha.

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Z &P are back to normal, rocks are definitely cleaner. small patches of algae are gone . I would say its a good product. I waited until today to do the 3rd dose. spread it out more. I can say this... the water gets a little cloudy on day two after the dose so I'm assuming whatever they use, the cloudiness begins the nutrient or bacteria export to be skimmed out. Does not work on bad bubble algae IMO. Teardown this week if I can find about 6 to 8 hours of free time. Tank is definitely cleaner tho.

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have been looking into this microbubble in the DT trend that has been on the forums for exporting bacteria to skimmed out.. Macro guy has some good info on it.

OP
OP
Reeflogic

Reeflogic