What Is This Stuff?!?

DavetheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

4 months old Reefer 170. For the past few weeks my rockwork and back wall is covered in fluffy white/green 'something' (please see pics) that:

- Does not appear to grow in shaded areas
- Does not appear to latch on to live rock, just my Caribsea rock (and has also grown on the sand)
- Blows off easily with a turkey baster (as if not really attached) in a 'dust storm' but then just comes back a few days later

Main params:
Nitrate - doesn't register on RS Pro test, so assuming around nil
Phosphate - Hanna Phosphorus test indicating around 0.05
Alkalinity Around 8.0 to 8.5
Calcium 410
Mag 1440
PH 7.9 (seems low, not sure why)

I am using a reactor with DD Nutri-Fix pellets - my suspicion initially was this was to blame. I installed this after using Nopox for several weeks to get the nitrates right down - but this left it's own different type of mess.

Any help to identify and get rid very much welcomed!

Thanks

IMG_0432.JPG IMG_0430.JPG

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be cyano if it blows of easy and does not grow in the light.

OP
OP
D

DavetheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be cyano if it blows of easy and does not grow in the light.

Thanks for the reply. It only grows in the light (is that what you mean) but it is white/green and not slimy - more like little fluffs of cotton, but still blows off easy. I looked up pics of green cyano but nothing matches what I have.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the pics, I can’t tell. Could be some type of bacterial bloom. Do you have a UV connected to your tank?

OP
OP
D

DavetheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the pics, I can’t tell. Could be some type of bacterial bloom. Do you have a UV connected to your tank?

I don't - but I have a hunch it is bacteria-like and possibly something to do with the Nopox-then-pellets I used to get the nitrates down. I may give the UV a go and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the tip

OP
OP
D

DavetheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chrysophytes maybe?
I'm working on this possibility too - when I have read up about them it seems to be in tanks with zero nitrates and struggling to raise them, which is what I might try to do if I can figure out how safely. Thanks

ReGinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're struggling with nitrates, and needing to raise them safely and efficiently, I personally use sodium nitrate to do it up to where I need it.

This is the one I use. Just be sure to get the sodium nitrate, and not the sodium nitrite when checking out. Pretty cheap too, which is always a plus :) lol

There are threads on here advising how to dose any everything. I'll see if I can hunt them down in a bit. Goof thing (and bad) with this stuff, is the byproduct is sodium (salt) which is good in that it won't hurt anything, but bad in that it can slowly raise your salinity over time, so you just have to keep an eye out on that when using.

Last edited:

ReGinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a very helpful thread on that topic, and the options used to do it. I just recently had the same problem and had to do a little research lol

OP
OP
D

DavetheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all the replies here.

In case anyone with a similar problem looks through this thread, my particular "fluffy" algae problem has mostly gone away in a week and may be either due to:
- Time (i.e. part of tank maturing) or
- UV sterlizer that I added as advised and the fluff has mostly gone - whether because of the UV or not, I do not know

I now have to battle with green/brown cyano / diatoms - but at least that is "normal"

I am also going to try sodium nitrate, as I can't seem to raise nitrates at all (which is crazy considering nitrates was what I was originally worried about!)

Wes10C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all the replies here.

In case anyone with a similar problem looks through this thread, my particular "fluffy" algae problem has mostly gone away in a week and may be either due to:
- Time (i.e. part of tank maturing) or
- UV sterlizer that I added as advised and the fluff has mostly gone - whether because of the UV or not, I do not know

I now have to battle with green/brown cyano / diatoms - but at least that is "normal"

I am also going to try sodium nitrate, as I can't seem to raise nitrates at all (which is crazy considering nitrates was what I was originally worried about!)
Glad you found something that works.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back