What is this ulcer on my fish?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this Exquisite Fairy for the last 9 months. He grew from an emaciated 1.25 inch female to about 2 inches beautiful male. Healthy and fat. However, he had a small dimple on his side when i first got him. This come to a head and ruptured. Over the last 3 months, the ulcer does not get larger but does not heal either. What is it? Is it a parasite? What can I do for him? Fortunately this does not seem to spread to any of my other fishes. I do have cleaner shrimps in the tank but they font seem to clean this wound or ulcer.
ExquisiteFairyWrasse2019041301Ulcer.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very symmetrical, parasite is possible. Easier said than done with a wrasse but have you tried catching it?

Will be far easier to id in a critter cage.

If a parasite its an arthropod which can be removed with tweezers and sometimes a bath of certain meds but these are not always effective on adults.

https://www.amazon.com/Dimilin-X-Ko...words=dimilin&qid=1555190556&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Ecological-L...words=dimilin&qid=1555190598&s=gateway&sr=8-2
I did have luck with this treating anchor worm adults on koi. But that doesnt mean it will treat all adult arthodpods. Not reef safe either one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Gareth. It is pretty impossible to catch. He is not the dominant fish so trapping him is hard. I wanted to anesthetize him and do surgery but I can't catch him.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could try medicated foods.

Metroplex and focus.

more experimental would clove ethylene extracted essence and focus.

There is a feeding guideline on the last one for aquaculture but the guideline is written in tonnage. Also i would have to find the information again. Also they mixed a lot of foods to make this palatable, and this was salmon so not reef tested in the slightest.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Gareth. It is pretty impossible to catch. He is not the dominant fish so trapping him is hard. I wanted to anesthetize him and do surgery but I can't catch him.

That’s a hard one Minh. I’d try a few different medications to see if that thing has a sensitivity to something. Looks almost like a growth.

Be interesting to see what a cleaner wrasse would do with that?!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back