What is on my Bangai cardinals lips?

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this cardinal for probably 3 months. He's been voracious and never seemed to have issues. He shares a 10g with a possum wrasse. Other critters include snails and corals and that's it. I noticed he wasn't hungry a week or so ago which is odd for him, then it happened again yesterday. Today I woke up and he looks like this. At first I thought he ate something but it seems to actually be his mouth. It almost looks like he's eating a hammer (he's not), the bubbles look *****.

PXL_20240305_140022713~2.jpg

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all it only occured to me as I typed it out... I guess we now know it's a she.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.. seems like a good possibility. Check out this picture, it's similar but maybe different color since they aren't fertilized Screenshot_20240305_091601_Edge.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've had this cardinal for probably 3 months. He's been voracious and never seemed to have issues. He shares a 10g with a possum wrasse. Other critters include snails and corals and that's it. I noticed he wasn't hungry a week or so ago which is odd for him, then it happened again yesterday. Today I woke up and he looks like this. At first I thought he ate something but it seems to actually be his mouth. It almost looks like he's eating a hammer (he's not), the bubbles look *****.

PXL_20240305_140022713~2.jpg
These are eggs for which the male holds them and will occasionally lose some and in some cases all

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is the only Cardinal in the tank though so I guess she must be carrying them herself.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is the only Cardinal in the tank though so I guess she must be carrying them herself.
I don’t think those are eggs. Can you get a clear video? I think this may be some form of gas bubble disease.

With only one cardinal in the tank, for this to be eggs, they had to come from her. Males are the ones that hold the eggs. Then, they hold them inside, not outside like that. Finally, these are the wrong color. They look silvery to me, thus the idea they may be gas bubbles.

Jay

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best picture I have. I can say they aren't attached to her because she just spat them out a bunch of times and regrabbed them with her mouth and now they seem to be fitting in her mouth better whatever it is. This picture is from before. Could it be a male that grabbed some other species eggs? Though I honestly don't know who would have laid them

Attachments

• PXL_20240305_141034675~2.jpg
    PXL_20240305_141034675~2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other reason I think eggs is a decent explanation is that I did check her out pretty thoroughly at midnight the night before and I didn't see any signs of anything. I looked at her because she was in a slightly different part of the tank that she normally doesn't go to.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I’d listen to Jay over me, he’s the fish expert.
Also it doesn’t make sense if it’s the only cardinal in the tank.

Also, on an aside, a 10gallon tank is too small for both those fish together. Personally I’d find a 10g way too small for even a single bengai they get kind of big

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely eggs, and if it's a she, there are documented cases where a female with eggs will release them and then stuff them in her mouth to try and protect them - but since they're not fertilized, she will eventually spit them out.

Actually could explain why they won't fully fit in her mouth - since males usually have bigger mouths for this exact reason. If those are her eggs (and yeah, they look like banggai eggs and are the right size for it), her rear, lower quarter should be noticeably thinner (looking slightly concave) now whereas before releasing them it would have looked slightly swollen.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s a He. It’s the males who carry the eggs in their mouths after the females lay them.
This begs the question where did the eggs come from though. I suspect it's just a female doing something weird with no male around to do his job.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an older thread on this.

I apparently did hear of a case where a female held unfertilized eggs for a bit - I'd forgotten that.

Jay

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, on an aside, a 10gallon tank is too small for both those fish together. Personally I’d find a 10g way too small for even a single bengai they get kind of big

Yeah I think this is right in the end. She's getting a little big although I think she's still doing well. The plan is to move them to a 280 gallon in the summer or shortly after. Just waiting on a basement remodel.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back