Banggai cardinalfish With eggs??? No mate.. so confused

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have another thread about internal parasites and discussing my clownfish with string poop and my cardinal fish that hasn’t eaten for two days. This morning I woke up to check on the cardinal and it has eggs covering it’s underside. He/she has been alone in the tank for probably a year. Do cardinal fish have eggs with the absent of a mate? Would they be attached where these are? Could it be the eggs of something else? See photos. Sorry it’s not white light I tried to get the best ones I could

edit: to add the one egg that became detached and grabbed it out of the tank.
7A5E31E6-99EA-4E9D-BFFB-89249C0E0A37.jpeg
F68D983A-1588-4BDA-9C5F-B5FDB173428A.jpeg
0D70437F-9454-43E0-A795-5E292E2B2478.jpeg
718373BE-BEA2-410A-B01E-C490C933B57F.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Eggs usually in bits mouth

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found this video about cardinal fish egg transfer. Happens at 1:20 in the video. The eggs in the video look just like the eggs on mine. So I guess the answer is females don’t need a male to produce the eggs and I don’t have a male to transfer to his mouth so they are just staying on the female.....

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found this video about cardinal fish egg transfer. Happens at 1:20 in the video. The eggs in the video look just like the eggs on mine. So I guess the answer is females don’t need a male to produce the eggs and I don’t have a male to transfer to his mouth so they are just staying on the female.....

Yes - females need to release their eggs in the absence of a male (the eggs are too large to be reabsorbed like some other fish do). I had a case recently where the female actually held the eggs in mouth for a bit, I thought the males were the mouthbrooders in this species.

The only thing I haven't seen before is the eggs hanging at the vent like that....but I guess that is normal?

jay

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - females need to release their eggs in the absence of a male (the eggs are too large to be reabsorbed like some other fish do). I had a case recently where the female actually held the eggs in mouth for a bit, I thought the males were the mouthbrooders in this species.

The only thing I haven't seen before is the eggs hanging at the vent like that....but I guess that is normal?

jay
HAHA.. I get concerned when you end a sentence with a question mark... To me, if you haven’t seen heard of it, then it’s probably not normal. I guess this explains why she hasn’t been eating? Is that common for fish to refuse food during an egg releasing stage?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jay
Someone else on the forum had a similar experience just a few days ago:

The tank only had the one female cardinalfish, and it had been alone for over a year, then it was found carrying eggs in its mouth. A quick search shows a number of similar cases popping up occasionally over the years.

HAHA.. I get concerned when you end a sentence with a question mark... To me, if you haven’t seen heard of it, then it’s probably not normal. I guess this explains why she hasn’t been eating? Is that common for fish to refuse food during an egg releasing stage?
The way she’s carrying the eggs is odd, but I don’t know that it’s necessarily a problem (I’d keep an eye on her for a few days and observe for issues).

For Bangaii Cardinalfish, it is common for the males to stop eating while they’re “incubating” the eggs, so I’d imagine it’s not too terribly abnormal for the females to do so as well in the absence of a male (since they take over the brooding duties in cases like this). I had assumed they stopped eating mostly due to the fact that they are mouth brooders, though (logistics), so this is making me wonder if it’s actually a logistics thing (i.e. it can’t eat anything or it risks eating the kids) or if it’s an instinct thing (i.e. it’s guarding the eggs, so it won’t eat anything).

Basically, my thoughts are to watch the fish for issues, and if it starts eating again and doesn’t have any issues after a few days, then you’re most likely in the clear. (Most females in these cases only carry the eggs for a few days before spitting them out, so it should start eating again after a few days if there’s nothing wrong, as far as I know.) If it goes more than 7-10 days without eating (assuming no other symptoms show up/have shown up by then), then I would be concerned that something is wrong.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone else on the forum had a similar experience just a few days ago:

The tank only had the one female cardinalfish, and it had been alone for over a year, then it was found carrying eggs in its mouth. A quick search shows a number of similar cases popping up occasionally over the years.

The way she’s carrying the eggs is odd, but I don’t know that it’s necessarily a problem (I’d keep an eye on her for a few days and observe for issues).

For Bangaii Cardinalfish, it is common for the males to stop eating while they’re “incubating” the eggs, so I’d imagine it’s not too terribly abnormal for the females to do so as well in the absence of a male (since they take over the brooding duties in cases like this). I had assumed they stopped eating mostly due to the fact that they are mouth brooders, though (logistics), so this is making me wonder if it’s actually a logistics thing (i.e. it can’t eat anything or it risks eating the kids) or if it’s an instinct thing (i.e. it’s guarding the eggs, so it won’t eat anything).

Basically, my thoughts are to watch the fish for issues, and if it starts eating again and doesn’t have any issues after a few days, then you’re most likely in the clear. (Most females in these cases only carry the eggs for a few days before spitting them out, so it should start eating again after a few days if there’s nothing wrong, as far as I know.) If it goes more than 7-10 days without eating (assuming no other symptoms show up/have shown up by then), then I would be concerned that something is wrong.

Hope this helps!
Wow, thanks for sharing that other post and your detailed response about my concerns. I’ll just watch and see for now. I am a bit relieved to have an explanation as to why she wasn’t eating. And now I know my fish is a girl! Although, in my awe I announced to my husband “she has eggs!” My son of course heard and got excited because now he expects babies. So I get to have that conversation with a five year old about how in this case, not so much. Lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just got off work- Yup eggs , thatll likely not hatch but at least you know its fertile

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back