What is this white tube/string thing?

LordNeb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a hard time trying to figure out what this is in my son's reef tank. They show up overnight attached to the glass, a rock, or a coral. It is a long tube or string of bubbles or eggs maybe that just waves around in the current attached only at one end. When I grab it to pull it out it is surprisingly strong and I can grab it with tweezers and pull without it breaking. They appear to be around 8 inches or more when stretched out. When I take it out of the tank it just turns to goo on the paper towel. I thought vermetid snail at first but it's not a web, just a single tube that does not react when touched.

IMG_20220323_112028.jpg IMG_20220323_112029__01.jpg IMG_20220323_112025.jpg

OP
OP
LordNeb

LordNeb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone stumbles across this in the future, we have figured out what this is. A snail in the tank was really bad at attaching their eggs. It's a string of eggs that broke loose from a rock. On r plus side, it appears the snail has figured it out and the new eggs are firmly attached to a rock. Now we will wait to see if they survive long enough to hatch.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back