What is this ?

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after having nightmare with Bio cube finally upgraded tank to 105gal. Bought it off from marketplace came with purple tang, almost 10 year old clown and royal gamma. Added this tang three days ago. He was just fine with everything mixed up well with others without a fight. Today when I returned back from work and he showed up with this. Not sure where to start. I almost feel like this saltwater reef hobby isn’t for me. Feeling very discouraged. Thank perimeters are great
Alk 12dkh Salifert
pH 8.5 salifert
Ammonia 0 API
Phosphate 0 API
Nitrate 0 Red Sea
Nitrite 0 Red Sea
Calcium 450 Salifert
Please help and guide me what to do before I loose everything like last time. I did setup 20gal tank bought from Petco just for hospital. Question I have are :

Do I have to quarantine the whole tank?

Or just take him out and hospitalize him?

I can take call corals out if I quarantine the whole system will it affect anything in future ?

#m#medict#tang

IMG_9711.jpeg IMG_9710.jpeg IMG_9709.jpeg

Last edited:

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be ich. Send that tang to qt but first pist piece with no blue lights so we can see the fish better

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that white light photos and a short video will be needed.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If indeed ich, which these are highly susceptible to quarantine or hypo will be needed.

Quarantine with copper power or coppersafe at 2.25 for 30 days uninterrupted. During which the main display will need to be fallow for 45 days.

Hypo can be done in tank but all inverts, algae and coral will need to be removed.

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After moving him out of the display tank, he looks like this. All the white spots seems disappeared but rest of the body has some regular bumps. I did do fresh water dip before putting him hospital tank? What do I need to treat him with if he is sick? His mouth got black and he lost some color as well. Not sure the color disorder due to stress I been feeding garlic to my display tank when he was in there. I just checked perimeters of hospital tank seems fine @TortillaMan @Jay Hemdal

Attachments

• IMG_9715.jpeg
    IMG_9715.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9714.jpeg
    IMG_9714.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9713.jpeg
    IMG_9713.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 39

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After moving him out of the display tank, he looks like this. All the white spots seems disappeared but rest of the body has some regular bumps. I did do fresh water dip before putting him hospital tank? What do I need to treat him with if he is sick? His mouth got black and he lost some color as well. Not sure the color disorder due to stress I been feeding garlic to my display tank when he was in there. I just checked perimeters of hospital tank seems fine @TortillaMan @Jay Hemdal

That is typical for early stage ich: the parasites are all about the same age, and they drop off to form reproductive tomonts at the same time, making it seem like the fish cured itself! However, the tomonts rupture and release new theronts/tomites and those can cause the infection to appear again. Eventually, the parasites get out of synch with each other and the fish will develop spots all of the time, in every increasing numbers.

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is typical for early stage ich: the parasites are all about the same age, and they drop off to form reproductive tomonts at the same time, making it seem like the fish cured itself! However, the tomonts rupture and release new theronts/tomites and those can cause the infection to appear again. Eventually, the parasites get out of synch with each other and the fish will develop spots all of the time, in every increasing numbers.
What can I treat them with at this point, I have him in separate tank now ?

Seachem ParaGuard - 250 mL / 8.5 fl. oz.​

Fritz FixIck (16 oz) Treatment for Ick & External Parasites​

Or copper powder which I never used

Or you think if he looks okay now if so should I put him back in main display ?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper power doses to 2.5ppm checked with Hanna

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Copper which I never used

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Copper which I never used
Neither of those two products work well for ick. The two main treatments are coppersafe or hyposalinity. Neither of those can be used if invertebrates/corals are present. Copper power/coppersafe is dosed at 2.25 ppm and tested with the Hanna checker. Hyposalinity is a specific gravity of 1.009 for 30 days.

You might prepare to treat, but hold off until the spots return, just to confirm you weren’t seeing sand particles or something on the fish.

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of those two products work well for ick. The two main treatments are coppersafe or hyposalinity. Neither of those can be used if invertebrates/corals are present. Copper power/coppersafe is dosed at 2.25 ppm and tested with the Hanna checker. Hyposalinity is a specific gravity of 1.009 for 30 days.

You might prepare to treat, but hold off until the spots return, just to confirm you weren’t seeing sand particles or something on the fish.
Baby blue hippo was covered last night in main display as well, I did take him out and transferred to QT but died overnight. I didn’t get a chance to take pic. I bought ich X from LFS today to started to treat the Powder blue just in case. Rest of the fish in display showing no symptoms so far. Do I need to treat rest of display even they don’t show any sign?
Moreover LFS told me to feed this with food

Seachem MetroPlex 5 g / 0.2 oz. for Marine & Saltwater Reef Aquariums!​

While using ich X, is that okay ?

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Non of the stores had copper I ordered from Amazon will arrive in 5 days unfortunately. Powder blue showing no signs still

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby blue hippo was covered last night in main display as well, I did take him out and transferred to QT but died overnight. I didn’t get a chance to take pic. I bought ich X from LFS today to started to treat the Powder blue just in case. Rest of the fish in display showing no symptoms so far. Do I need to treat rest of display even they don’t show any sign?
Moreover LFS told me to feed this with food

Seachem MetroPlex 5 g / 0.2 oz. for Marine & Saltwater Reef Aquariums!​

While using ich X, is that okay ?
The Ich-X doesn’t work well for marine ich.
Metroplex in food has been tried with limited success. It needs to be 1% in the food by weight, so you need a gram scale. It is usually bound with Focus and then mixed with the food.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back