What is this?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Joined
Aug 12, 2012
Messages
9,667
Reaction score
12,438
Location
SW Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I do some collecting in the Florida Keys, some of you may follow me in my Collecting & Snorkeling thread (the link to it is in my signature below).

Anyway, I just got home and in my collection of snails, clams, a serpent star and a sea cucumber I found a couple of these in my holding tank:

DSCN1032 R1.jpg

I've seen them once before and couldn't ID them. But I tossed them into my tank and when I rebuilt my tank, I found a couple attached to some rock. This time I found 2 more in with my collection when I got home. The left edge seems to attach to a rock, the middle 2/3rds or 3/4ths is hard like shell or bone. The right hand edge is a narrow oval and looks a bit like algae. They are small and they seem to grow. The bigger one in this photo is about 1/4 inch tall and wide, maybe 1/8th on an inch thick.

Any help?
 
@ISpeakForTheSeas may be able to help.
My first thought would be some kind of "oyster" like a hammer oyster, but I'm honestly not sure from the pics. Any chance you could get pics of them against a solid background (preferably black or white) and from a variety of angles?
 
I'll see what I can do. I have already placed them in a couple of holes in the rocks in my tank. No promises.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 9.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new