What is this?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Joined
Aug 12, 2012
Messages
9,668
Reaction score
12,438
Location
SW Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I do some collecting in the Florida Keys, some of you may follow me in my Collecting & Snorkeling thread (the link to it is in my signature below).

Anyway, I just got home and in my collection of snails, clams, a serpent star and a sea cucumber I found a couple of these in my holding tank:

DSCN1032 R1.jpg

I've seen them once before and couldn't ID them. But I tossed them into my tank and when I rebuilt my tank, I found a couple attached to some rock. This time I found 2 more in with my collection when I got home. The left edge seems to attach to a rock, the middle 2/3rds or 3/4ths is hard like shell or bone. The right hand edge is a narrow oval and looks a bit like algae. They are small and they seem to grow. The bigger one in this photo is about 1/4 inch tall and wide, maybe 1/8th on an inch thick.

Any help?
 
@ISpeakForTheSeas may be able to help.
My first thought would be some kind of "oyster" like a hammer oyster, but I'm honestly not sure from the pics. Any chance you could get pics of them against a solid background (preferably black or white) and from a variety of angles?
 
I'll see what I can do. I have already placed them in a couple of holes in the rocks in my tank. No promises.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new