what is this

  • Thread starter Thread starter jetmaker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I got my first gorilla crab recently. Bummed Im prob gonna have to snuff him:( I have little sand sleepers.
7fee69fd1906b4a8bd6b94380db29565.jpg
 
Did he come in on a coral.
Yea had to. Funny. I dip. They guy I buy from dips HARD. couple times. Bayer.
Havent got any new in a month or so.
Found that carapace last week end and found his hidey hole last night. Everything I found basically said its a crab. If it gets hungry it will eat a fish. I have a female mandy only about 2in and was planning on a ruby red and some pipes.
I had a rogue hermit last year tore up a small male a female and caught him being dragged on the scooters tail. couple weeks of pure heck. thought it was a disease at first.
This is supposed to be an acro crab of some sort, scavengers and coral nibblers in the wild. but lacking that, murder. From what I found if you have big swimmers its not a problem. The crab is more likely to be eaten.

Thats not your crab either?
 
II did look at the gall but mine is a lot bigger about the size of a extra large hermit.
 
I don't know any gall crabs that have hairy legs so you'd notice enough to use as a descriptor, but that's what it certainly sounds like, as said. There's a hairy squat lobster, but they are not gray (that I know of). The one I'm aware of is purple or pink in color (I forget which) and you would definitely know that. I hope you get a picture. Even if it's not great, throw it up and maybe someone will be able to tell.
 
I don't know any gall crabs that have hairy legs so you'd notice enough to use as a descriptor, but that's what it certainly sounds like, as said. There's a hairy squat lobster, but they are not gray (that I know of). The one I'm aware of is purple or pink in color (I forget which) and you would definitely know that. I hope you get a picture. Even if it's not great, throw it up and maybe someone will be able to tell.
Bump
 
@reefwiser do you have a good reference for crab species Id sir? None I have found are detailed.

Where are the crab guys?
 
May be a type of decorator crab, can't really tell anything by the photo. Any chance you can take it out and get a more focused picture of it?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new