What is this?

LoriGrace

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 30, 2017
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I need help identifying what is on my Astraea snails shell. As you can see there are these purple bumps and then this worm looking thing going in and out of it. Are they worms or a pest I need to remove. Please let me know and thank you in advance!

IMG_2434.JPG


IMG_2435.JPG
 
Welcome to R2R!!! Vermetid snail cant irritate corals.
 
I was under impression Vermetid snails can irritate corals? They throw out little strings to catch any floating particles. This string can irritate some corals, maybe not to a terrible extent. But I believe they are rather harmless, just keep the population in check.
 
I was under impression Vermetid snails can irritate corals? They throw out little strings to catch any floating particles. This string can irritate some corals, maybe not to a terrible extent. But I believe they are rather harmless, just keep the population in check.
It depends on the size of the snail. Here is a pic of a large Vermetid snail spitting out her web for food.
images
 
I have a couple of these too... why do the call them vermetid snail when it's not a snail?
 
I was under impression Vermetid snails can irritate corals? They throw out little strings to catch any floating particles. This string can irritate some corals, maybe not to a terrible extent. But I believe they are rather harmless, just keep the population in check.
Thank you I will!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new