OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the white strings soft? Coming out of the rock or sponge-like growth?
Haven’t get around it. It seems like a mossy growth between rocks (the green ball). And small white strings coming out from the mossy ball. The white threads don’t seem to move in the flow.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be tube worms is there anything on the end of the tubes?
Nothing on the ends. I’ll add that the green ball part is also part of it. It is independent from the rock. Unfortunately it’s deep in the rock and I can’t get in to do anything without deconstructing everything.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping someone says baby tunicates :p

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunicates would have a inlet and outlet siphon.
Tadult_low.gif

More wormy looking to me. I have had a whole section of a sump covered with worms with calcium shells.
They’re definitely not tunicates. Just wishing. I can’t even put my finger on these. They aren’t worms. Not algae. No idea really. Zero movement.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like tube worms to me. What they are growing on, I have no clue.
This thing has shown up in a matter of hours. The mass that the stringy things are growing on also is new and not part of the rock. Keeping an eye on it and will update with pics. I may try to remove it for better pics later.

Craigdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What rock did you set the tank up with? Just wondering if it could be old dead stuff like feather dusters or tube worms that has fallen off a part of the rock

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How big is it? To me it looks like a piece of rock with small tube worms - I have them under my sand - if I move it - they look exactly that way - until they are re-covered. Could be a piece of rock thats fallen from somewhere?

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is LR from the ocean. Lots of life and odds and ends. Could be tube worms. But the strange part is the green ball. Looks like moss and it is under the rock where it does not get light. So hard for it to photosynthesize

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The rock is LR from the ocean. Lots of life and odds and ends. Could be tube worms. But the strange part is the green ball. Looks like moss and it is under the rock where it does not get light. So hard for it to photosynthesize

It looks like algae on a rock (is what I thought) - some algae doesnt need that much light (unless its completely in the dark) - interesting.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like algae on a rock (is what I thought) - some algae doesnt need that much light (unless its completely in the dark) - interesting.
What’s odd is it wasn’t there before and I know because it’s where the shrimp always hides. I noticed the shrimps antennas were poking out from a different rock, went to inspect and noticed this. Keeping an eye on it. I’m sure it’s nothing.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s odd is it wasn’t there before and I know because it’s where the shrimp always hides. I noticed the shrimps antennas were poking out from a different rock, went to inspect and noticed this. Keeping an eye on it. I’m sure it’s nothing.

I meant to mention - could a rock (small) with algae have fallen into the crack?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back