What is this?

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was diving off Tampa bay in about 40 feet and there was a huge school of these little fishes hanging on a ledge. I caught a bunch for my DT and have them in my QT tank now. I just can't figure out what they are and how big they will get. The entire school was about this size, and they eat like crazy. Does anyone know for sure what these are?
nano pic.jpg

OP
OP
Afterburner

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine all have a spot on their tails and the body seems longer and slenderer.

OP
OP
Afterburner

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Five lined cardinal fish maybe?
Maybe they are, but mine only has three lines and no yellow near the tail. They do have a very similar body shape. This is probably just the dirty tampa bay version. There were literally 10's of thousands of them in a school. Thanks for the ID.

SenatorPOPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they are, but mine only has three lines and no yellow near the tail. They do have a very similar body shape. This is probably just the dirty tampa bay version. There were literally 10's of thousands of them in a school. Thanks for the ID.
Yea, looks like no stripes on the ventral side of the body. Could be a Tampa version haha. Looks to be something in the Cheilodipterus genus. Maybe someone with a lot better knowledge could help identify it further.

OP
OP
Afterburner

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait - that's your quarantine tank in the photo? looks nicer than my DT
It is pretty small and I hardly ever clean the glass, but it is a good place to put frags and QT fish I catch in the wild. The weird thing is that I can load it like crazy and nitrates don't move. probably all the algae and softies, but it seems to work.
QT.jpg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job catching the fish! I actually live about 2 hours away from the South China Sea but I don’t feel confident enough to catch my own fish! Not yet.

Yes they’re definitely Cardinals, a hardy group of fish. Good luck with them!

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not cardinals. They’re juvenile Tomtates. A variety of grunt, they’ll get to almost a foot long. I catch them on sabiki rigs for bait as well as larger ones when snapper fishing. FYI I own a boat in Tampa and regularly fish the gulf. Any fisherman can verify their identity. Having said that, they’re perfect aquarium fish! Great catch. I’m at the moment fattening up 4 filefish I caught on my last run out. They’re a whopping 1/2” each! Hoping I can get them to eat pest zoanthids.

OP
OP
Afterburner

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These do not have the body shape of a grunt or the red inside the mouth. I also fish regularly out of tampa bay and get my share of grunts. maybe they will change as they grow (I will have to look into that). If they do, then my DT would be more like a live well for my next fishing trip. The issue is catching them once they are in my DT due to the fragile corals. I might just let them go in the canal.

OP
OP
Afterburner

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not cardinals. They’re juvenile Tomtates. A variety of grunt, they’ll get to almost a foot long. I catch them on sabiki rigs for bait as well as larger ones when snapper fishing. FYI I own a boat in Tampa and regularly fish the gulf. Any fisherman can verify their identity. Having said that, they’re perfect aquarium fish! Great catch. I’m at the moment fattening up 4 filefish I caught on my last run out. They’re a whopping 1/2” each! Hoping I can get them to eat pest zoanthids.
I just looked it up.... you are right, they are juvenile tomatates..... off to the canal they go. I am headed to the Keys in a couple of weeks, so I am sure I can find a better replacement for them.
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP SOFTHAMMER!
If you ever feel like a fishing trip, message me.... John

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here! Been killin the red snapper but this weather is holding me back! You’ll definitely find some more aquarium-worthy specimens in the keys.

OP
OP
Afterburner

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you about the weather, and with the bigger ARS having moved out to 150', it's a long run when the wind is howling and afternoon thunderstorms come up. When I was collecting, I noticed a lot of Hogfish on the ledges around 40' and a few were legal size. A much shorter run.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! That’s why I alway try to carry shrimp no matter the plan

U

User1

View Badges
Side note - you shouldn't release them back into the ocean or canal as you suggested. Instead take them to the LFS and use them for feeder fish in predator tanks. In case you ask why it is because your tank may have something that can then be carried to the ocean.

Small enough size they look so should be a no brainer for fish food.

OP
OP
Afterburner

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Side note - you shouldn't release them back into the ocean or canal as you suggested. Instead take them to the LFS and use them for feeder fish in predator tanks. In case you ask why it is because your tank may have something that can then be carried to the ocean.

Small enough size they look so should be a no brainer for fish food.
Thanks for the advice.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back