What is this? ...

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tank. larger 72" tank with a center overflow. The top is what you expect with center overflows, but I noticed this bulkhead at the very bottom as you can see from the photo. What is it? It can't be a drain, since it would drain the entire tank down to about an inch above sand.. Can't be return because thats already comes out on top. Manufacture not responding so can't figure it out.

I'm hoping it's some kind of drain to help take in water towards the bottom of the tank so it doesn't only take from the surface level overflows. Any one have this on their tanks? Exist on both sides of the center overflow column.

unnamed.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow has a suction type inlet towers the bottom as well. It pulls in water/debri from the water column below the surface.

Mine actually pulls in the a small, thin compartment that then outputs somewhere higher on the inside of the overflow... I've never actually gone digging in there to find out where, though. But it had to do this otherwise the entire tank would drain into your sump when you turned off the return pump.

OP
OP
S

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow has a suction type inlet towers the bottom as well. It pulls in water/debri from the water column below the surface.

Mine actually pulls in the a small, thin compartment that then outputs somewhere higher on the inside of the overflow... I've never actually gone digging in there to find out where, though. But it had to do this otherwise the entire tank would drain into your sump when you turned off the return pump.

Bingo. That's my theory as well. It may be pulling in and sending it up higher inside the overflow component otherwise it would drain the entire tank. There is no actual plumbing in the center overflow except the 3 standards (drain, emergency and return).

if this was true, then these tanks are doing the bonus duty of pulling in water from the lower depths which is perfect for UV situations where parasites when free floating tend to stay lower in the tank. This is a real problem where folks have to plumb in an extra return to pull water from the bottom when sending to UV.

Problem is I'm not seeing a strong suction where I can visually see debris being drawn in. .. can you any on yours?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo. That's my theory as well. It may be pulling in and sending it up higher inside the overflow component otherwise it would drain the entire tank. There is no actual plumbing in the center overflow except the 3 standards (drain, emergency and return).

if this was true, then these tanks are doing the bonus duty of pulling in water from the lower depths which is perfect for UV situations where parasites when free floating tend to stay lower in the tank. This is a real problem where folks have to plumb in an extra return to pull water from the bottom when sending to UV.

Problem is I'm not seeing a strong suction where I can visually see debris being drawn in. .. can you any on yours?
Yes, I can see debri pulled into it on mine.

OP
OP
S

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I can see debri pulled into it on mine.

I see some water movement, but wouldn't be any kind of forceful suction. Are you able to look inside (I think it's called a weir) and see what is at the other end of that bulkhead? What kind of tank do you have?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some water movement, but wouldn't be any kind of forceful suction. Are you able to look inside (I think it's called a weir) and see what is at the other end of that bulkhead? What kind of tank do you have?
Mine didn't look like your outside setup. Mine only has some slits in a plate that i can remove to clean behind. It has to empty at the top somewhere, but I've never gotten behind it to see where the output actually is located. The suction is extremely mild on it, though. I don't know if that would be considered a venturi setup where the water flow over the top creates the suction below... kind of like how those python vacuums function during water change.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yup!! Many tank overflows have this. Marineland for example. Not sure how well it really works, but ......

OP
OP
S

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup!! Many tank overflows have this. Marineland for example. Not sure how well it really works, but ......

So another unsolved mystery... =)

I'll update this thread of I ever get a chance to dig back there and take a closer look.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AIO quarantine tank has this system also. The right hand section of the rear sump is the drain and it has one drain bulkhead at the bottom and another at the top. As others have said it is designed to draw most (or all if your normal water level is < the top drain) from the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
S

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Confirmed that I eventually saw stuff getting sucked into this lower drain. Had a bunch of nori debris that got sucked into this magical blackhole. The nori was actually a larger piece so now I'm wondering where it goes.. and what else is there now that may be rotting away since I'm not seeing it in my sock. Very interesting.. and a bonus for those that are running UVs for parasite mgmt being able to draw in free floating protomont stage that tends to settle in the lower half of the tank. win win

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back