What is this?

Tom2257

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever disease this is has wiped out my entire fish population with the exception of 2 blue damsels that seem to be fine. Is this Velvet? The purple Tang lived for 7 days with this and finally succumbed this morning.
Thanks in advance

20211101_015356.jpg

OP
OP
Tom2257

Tom2257

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be an extreme case of ich. The small white bumps are indicative of ich.
I was told by my LFS it was Velvet. All I know is it killed 7 fish fast. My decision now is to go fallow or do a complete restart. I am leaning toward a restart.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay is our resident "fish doctor" and usually up this early, or late(depending in where your located). So he would be able to tell for sure.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by my LFS it was Velvet. All I know is it killed 7 fish fast. My decision now is to go fallow or do a complete restart. I am leaning toward a restart.

That appears to be end-stage Cryptocaryon, marine ich. Sorry to see you had this issue. With velvet, you would typically just see rapid breathing, not eating, swimming into water currents and then death after a few days. If you see any spots with velvet, they will be very small, not large like these are.

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
Tom2257

Tom2257

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, From onset to death it took well over a week so you may be correct that it was Ich. The odd thing is some of the fish had no white spots at all and died.I had 2 clowns that died 8 days apart and had no spots at all. The only sign they were showing was erratic swimming and remaining at surface of top. My last 2 fish, Blue Devil Damsels have no signs at all, appear healthy. I have 2 banded shrimp that are doing good.

Tom Bradshaw
Bedford New York

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, From onset to death it took well over a week so you may be correct that it was Ich. The odd thing is some of the fish had no white spots at all and died.I had 2 clowns that died 8 days apart and had no spots at all. The only sign they were showing was erratic swimming and remaining at surface of top. My last 2 fish, Blue Devil Damsels have no signs at all, appear healthy. I have 2 banded shrimp that are doing good.

Tom Bradshaw
Bedford New York
Yes - that mix of symptoms is quite odd. I would have expected the damsels to be affected at some point, and the clowns dying with no spots also doesn't match with ich. Still, the photo of the tang is pretty compelling.....

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back