What is this!?

brandowelsh

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 5, 2023
Messages
40
Reaction score
43
Location
Bowling Green
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me identify what this is? Just noticed it in the sand bed and I’m not certain what it is. Thank you in advance!

IMG_6867.jpeg IMG_6871.jpeg
 
As mentioned, it’s a bivalve (bivalves including things like clams, mussels, oysters, scallops, etc.). In this case, it’s an Ark Shell (taxonomic family Arcidae), and I’d guess it’s from the Arca genus.

Neat find!
Looks like an Arca sp. (the Turkey Wing Clams); there are a ton of species in the genus, so I'm not sure which one. It seems some species are facultatively mobile as adults, so it might be able to move a little bit on it's own since it's not attached to the rock at the moment. Based off of other Arca spp., though, I would guess this guy would prefer a rocky bottom it can attach to using byssal threads. It would probably also like having plenty of phyto (I'd recommend Isochrysis galbana/T-Iso and a Chaetoceros sp. or a blend containing one or both of these in particular if you want to try and add phyto to feed the clam). I'm not sure what flow these guys would prefer, but I'd guess a moderate flow would be best (enough to carry food for them to feed on, but not so much that it can't send out byssal threads).
 
Old thread but just curious:
Is it still alive (now)?
I think so, I’ve seen it a couple times since this post, but he gets moved around because I also have a pistol shrimp in the tank!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new