What is wrong with my torch coral?

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

This coral used to be very healthy and happy, like others in my tank, but over the last few days, it looks pretty damaged and ill.

I removed the coral from the display tank and put it into quarantine (QT).

1000044710.jpg

Is there any treatment I should try?

Thanks

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d scrub with a tooth brush all over that touch with coral dip. Then dip him in a bowl of RO water, then back into salt water. Put it back into the QT tank. Have good flow on him not crazy but enough to see his tiny tentacles wiggle while snugged up. Give it half way tank light. If you have a magnetic rack (half way on the tank.)

This is the best you can do… from what it looks like may be too late.. torches like this are complete loss in my experience… but I’ve managed to save 2 doing what I said above.
Best of luck.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d scrub with a tooth brush all over that touch with coral dip. Then dip him in a bowl of RO water, then back into salt water. Put it back into the QT tank. Have good flow on him not crazy but enough to see his tiny tentacles wiggle while snugged up. Give it half way tank light. If you have a magnetic rack (half way on the tank.)

This is the best you can do… from what it looks like may be too late.. torches like this are complete loss in my experience… but I’ve managed to save 2 doing what I said above.
Best of luck.

Thanks. I will try it.

Should I worry about other torches in DT, is it something contagious?

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean scrub him good, torches can be out of water for 30min, so I mean scrub and keep dipping the toothbrush in coral dip and don’t be afraid to scrub around the skeleton head super near the tentacles. (Don’t be Afraid. I’d rather have scrubbed off a tentacle by trying to save it.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately coral is gone.

As soon as I started to brush it coral melted in jelly and maybe even brown jelly, I couldn't see that recovery is possible.

i just hope now other corals are safe

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately coral is gone.

As soon as I started to brush it coral melted in jelly and maybe even brown jelly, I couldn't see that recovery is possible.

i just hope now other corals are safe
Sorry for the loss! On to better and greater things. I would scrub the other torches down if you haven’t ever since purchasing from a retailer. Be safe and know how to clean your corals. Best of luck.

Last edited:

larreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t listen to this guy telling you to scrub your torches, unless you want all of them dead

larreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lareef; you clearly have the nastiest tank I presume? Correct me if I’m wrong. Do you clean your corals when buying from a retailer?

No, I don’t scrub my corals and expose them to infection and further stress than a dip.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I buy one or I have to make on own?

Another torch is sick :( this one was right next to the first one.. not looking good..

1000044873.jpg
Tomorrow is Monday. I’d call a local LFS store and see if they can save it. Have them QT them and maybe even clean them of course for you.
I’m sorry. Perhaps some professionals can handle this and save them. Torches aren’t cheap but a QT investment may be worth it. That first one died quick. So I’d be the first thing I’d do tomorrow if I were you.

Are all parameters still in check?

banik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another torch is sick :( this one was right next to the first one.. not looking good..

1000044873.jpg
Google KFC coral dip. I think Kung Fu Corals sells a kit if you don't have the ingredients on hand.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

1000044873.jpg
Too little light and flow , it will shrivel up and assure calcium is Not below 400
Also assure phosphate is not highly elevated

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds and looks like BJD, best thing I can say is frag off the infected head and maybe @encrustingacro can tell you more about treatment as I don't know much about BJD treatment
Honestly, I don't know much about Euphyllia/Fimbriaphyllia care. I would probably say cut off the head. I do remember hearing about a dip that would treat brown jelly, though I don't exactly remember which one it was. I think it was from Polyp Lab.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back