What is your favorite nano algae eating fish?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ABQ_CHRIS
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ABQ_CHRIS

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 15, 2022
Messages
489
Reaction score
1,527
Location
Albuquerque
What state or country do you live in
New Mexico
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that I have room for one more nano fish. I have been planning a Tailspot Blenny but I worry that a Tailspot might bully the more passive fish.

Is there a better nano-appropriate algae eating fish out there? What do you think?
 
Hector's goby (or Rainford's goby)

Won't eat a massive amount, but picks at algae pretty much all day and should do a good job keeping after a modest amount in a nano.
 
Upvote 0
Mollies make an unusual addition to a saltwater tank.

If what you really want is to get rid of algae, though, you need snails and/or a tuxedo urchin. Algae-eating fish appropriate for a nano aren't going to do much to the algae, usually. After all, you don't want them to eat all of it and go hungry.
 
Upvote 0
Mollies make an unusual addition to a saltwater tank.

If what you really want is to get rid of algae, though, you need snails and/or a tuxedo urchin. Algae-eating fish appropriate for a nano aren't going to do much to the algae, usually. After all, you don't want them to eat all of it and go hungry.
Thank you for the suggestion and the advice.

I have a decent crew of snails. I worry about an urchin blundering about and wearing inappropriate hats.

Really I am looking for more than a pretty face. A herbivore utilitarian fish.
 
Upvote 0
My tail spot in my 65 is an absolute algae addict. He’s in with several other similar sized fish and behaves just fine.

However, I did have one in a fluval 13.5 that would regularly scuffle with a wheeler’s goby. They were pretty equally matched, but the tail spot usually started it. Their territories were right next to each other and they were of similar size and shape.
 
Upvote 0
My tail spot in my 65 is an absolute algae addict. He’s in with several other similar sized fish and behaves just fine.

However, I did have one in a fluval 13.5 that would regularly scuffle with a wheeler’s goby. They were pretty equally matched, but the tail spot usually started it. Their territories were right next to each other and they were of similar size and shape.
Thanks. Good to know. I have a reclusive wheeler's goby. It would stink have him quarreling with another fish.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new