What is your favorite salt mix?

• Total voters

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried many brands over the years, and all seem to work well. I think overall for price/performance, it's hard to beat IO RC. Hard to beat under $50.00 for a 200 Gal. box delivered to your door.

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Aquavitro Salinity having had it recommended by multiple people. I like the fact that Seachem sends each batch out for independent analysis and then has that information printed on every bucket. It's an extra step that ensures a good product is going out to market. I've also never had problems mixing Salinity, but I don't mix it and use it right away. I typically let it run with a heater & powerheads for 24 hours so it's crystal clear when I add it.

Another thing I've found is that although it's a bit more pricey, I use less to make the same amount of water at equal salinity. Everyone has on their packaging how many gallons can be made, but I've found that if I mix the same amount of IO that I would Salinity to get to 1.024, the IO will only be at 1.020 or 1.021. So when looking at a cost comparison, that's something to think about. I haven't tested this extensively so I can't say with scientific certainty this is the case, but it's what I found to be true.

Starblenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Red Sea, Red Sea Coral Pro, and Instant Ocean.

I like Instant Ocean since it didn't leave a weird brown stain at the bottom of the container but the Calcium and Alk were pretty different from each other (I generally have like ~480Ca and 7.2 Alk everytime I do a WC). For the price though, it's nice $50 for a 200gal box with free shipping.

Red Sea and Red Sea Coral Pro, I noticed my corals seem to grow better with their stuff but every time I mix some SW, it always leave a weird brown film all over my mixing pump. I usually buy it during that Marine Depot warehouse sale though.

Aqua Craft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not one Aqua Craft Products marine salt listed?

Aqua Craft Products salts have been around since 1971. the worlds first tank breeding and raising of clown fish, first captive breeding of mandarin fish, Chambered nautilus, Currently used world wide.

Oh, and Aqua Craft Products is an R2R sponsor Vs. some of the brands listed......Hmmmmmm.

Jovreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Instant ocean, Red sea, Tropic marin, and TM pro in the past. I am trying reef crystals on this new tank. My choice in the past has been TM Pro, but so many people like reef crystals and it is still $20 cheaper than TM pro so I decided to give it a try. So far I think its just fine.

Instant Ocean is the only one I could point out just from looks and mixing though. It is bigger and takes longer to mix. Works fine for fish only, my old job used it on their 17,000 system, but I don't think I'd try it on a reef tank.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aqua Craft Products salts have been around since 1971. the worlds first tank breeding and raising of clown fish, first captive breeding of mandarin fish, Chambered nautilus, Currently used world wide.

Oh, and Aqua Craft Products is an R2R sponsor Vs. some of the brands listed......Hmmmmmm.

This poll was created, by a R2R member, not R2R staff. The member who created the poll chooses which options are available. One other thing that I'd hoped you'd have noticed, before your lil' rant...the poll was created 4 months before you even joined R2R. How could you be upset about not being included, being a sponsor, when the poll was created months before you were a sponsor?

Honestly, I'd never even heard of Aqua Craft products prior to a thread you created a couple weeks ago. Had I created a similar poll, I'd have neglected to include products I wasn't aware even existed.

Last edited:

fishgeek12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using ESV for awhile now but recently my lfs didnt have any instock and i was in need of a water change. I tried out the red sea coral pro salt and boy am i happy with the results! Corals seem pretty happy and it mixes clear just like ESV without the hassle of mixing stuff in..... i also tested every batch for alk cal and mag and it was fairly consistant...

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Tropic Marin Bio Actif Salt but I don't have a nano anymore . too expensive . Tried the ESV Bionic n the Red Sea Coral Pro . My present tank doesn't like the higher alk of the RSCP + The price went up . ESV was meh
Tried a 50 gallon mix of Kent Reef Salt . Mixes clear with very good levels of alk,mag , calcium . I just started on a 200 gallon bucket .

In defense of the OP
I am not trying to be rude , so I apologize for any tone inflection.
Yes , the salt has been around proly longer than some of the reef keepers on this forum. I remember two things about AquaCraft .A salt report completed by an independent company leaving favor to the Marine Enviroment mix , so here is my HMMM moment . I have heard some good things about the salt. The other big item I do remember was it's limited availability to most lfs's or mail order retailers. I am glad the company is still up and running after all these years . It's 2012 and again the product is just as elusive as a resplendent angel . I can easily state that if I checked at least 4 stores in my area they will not have the product in stock or even have knowledge of it .Same with the internet . No one can review, poll or use a product if it's not available to the masses. I sincerely hope Aquacraft does something about that .

Last edited:

mc-cro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using instant ocean for over 10yrs. cheap, and easily available. never had a problem. It used to be low on alk, but they have bumped up alk, calc, and mag.

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RC so far because the person I bought my system off of gave me a new 200g box and I won a bucket at the Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium meeting.

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Coral Pro for me. Love the stuff and get a 5g bucket for $45 at the LFS.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redsea the real salt not syn.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 55 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 54 24.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 24.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back