What is your favorite sand

  • Thread starter Thread starter RWinfrey
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RWinfrey

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
746
Reaction score
483
Location
Ct
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use southdown tropical ply sand but can't find it so what do you use:wink:
 
I use Southdown but got sample of Marco Rocks sand. It's a pretty good match and the price is right. Check the forum sponsor list....
 
Caribsea Seaflor Special Grade as well stays put under higher flow.
 
Caribsea Seaflor Special Grade as well stays put under higher flow.

im getting a new tank and i was looking for new sand because im sick of my old sand flying around when i turn the flow up or when i go to pick up corals on my sand bed and someone suggested in getting this sand. I just wanted to know what color it is? i'm looking for a nice white color
 
I was thinking I might go with black sand
 
I got caribsea fiji pink, and a vortech mp10 in my nanocube 28 gallon. The flow blew it around. I threw 20 pounds of fiji pink *special grade* on top of that and it hasn't moved. I wouldn't be worried if you used either of the caribsea special grades. The fiji pink looks fantastic IMO. Very white.
 
Black can lower overall par and prevent light from reflecting up onto the bottom of the corals. So make sure this is taken into account.

My sand auto leveled in photoshop:
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • sand.jpg
    sand.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 221
I bought 500 lbs of Southdown when it was still available and cheap but alas its all gone. 330 lbs in my display and sold the rest. Awesome sand for a DSB.
 
I got caribsea fiji pink, and a vortech mp10 in my nanocube 28 gallon. The flow blew it around. I threw 20 pounds of fiji pink *special grade* on top of that and it hasn't moved. I wouldn't be worried if you used either of the caribsea special grades. The fiji pink looks fantastic IMO. Very white.

possible if i can get any pics of it?
 
Oolite all the way. Doesnt get dirty b/c its sooo fine and as long as flow is at top I dont have problem with it going anywhere. (1 vortech MP40w and 1 Koralia 3 and 1000gph return on a 90gal) I dotn like any above mentioned brands b/c its too chunky and gets dirty fast, I am extremely picky though about my entire tank looking "clean"
 
Oolite all the way. Doesnt get dirty b/c its sooo fine and as long as flow is at top I dont have problem with it going anywhere. (1 vortech MP40w and 1 Koralia 3 and 1000gph return on a 90gal) I dotn like any above mentioned brands b/c its too chunky and gets dirty fast, I am extremely picky though about my entire tank looking "clean"

+1 I love oolite as well. It does tend to get blown around though. All those round little grains just don't stay put.
 
I ran oolitic sand in the 125g it is awesome for that and that it only takes an inch to remove nitrAtes. But it blew ALL over the place with my flow. Other than that I loved it!
 
Last edited:
Crushed Coral for me. My Diamond Goby can't crop dust my chalices with it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new