What is your go to flake and/or pellet brand?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always gone with frozen for my tank.

Now that all my fish are in QT I'm looking to use more pellets and flakes to keep the excess nutrients at a minimum. I'll still be feeding some frozen, but would like to find a high quality flake or frozen. My fish except both well.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of those questions you're likely to get a varied response to. But for what it's worth, I prefer New Life Spectrum Thera +A pellets and Ocean Nutrition flakes. I personally auto feed a ,insure of these two in the morning and early noon, with frozen for dinner.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of those questions you're likely to get a varied response to. But for what it's worth, I prefer New Life Spectrum Thera +A pellets and Ocean Nutrition flakes. I personally auto feed a ,insure of these two in the morning and early noon, with frozen for dinner.

Thank you dbl! I was just at the LFS reading all the ingredient labels and ended up with NLS Thera +A. That's very reassuring.

I have some formula one flakes but they are probably a year old, I'll go pick up some more along with spirulina later this week

Qirko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another user of NLS Thera +A here, the fish seem to like it. I also mix in random frozen foods :)

vladandlilith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used NLS Thera + A for several years. I was even a tester for their medicated food for a year before it went to market. As far as flake food, I feed Seachem's Marine Flake food. All of my fish love both of them. I feed both of those a few times per week otherwise it's LRS, mysis, or brine shrimp.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used NLS Thera + A for several years. I was even a tester for their medicated food for a year before it went to market. As far as flake food, I feed Seachem's Marine Flake food. All of my fish love both of them. I feed both of those a few times per week otherwise it's LRS, mysis, or brine shrimp.

Nice. Thanks everyone, sounds like I got the right stuff. I'll look into the seachem flakes as well.

I do wish more LFS carried the Sustainable Aquatics hatchery pellets. That's my go to pellet for stubborn fish. Not sure what's in them but man, the fishies go nuts for it.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of brand, I always check the label for whole ingredients. Ocean Nutrition used to have some good flakes, but now the ingredient list begins with fish solubles, wheat, and other crap I don't want to feed my fish. It seems they very quietly switched over, which is why I check the label every time I purchase food.

Currently, I buy Omega One veggie pellets and New Life Spectrum marine pellets. I rarely feed dry foods, so these 2 are plenty for me. Both brands have flakes and other formulas that are likely just as good, but again, check the labels.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish absolutely go nuts for the dry food mix from Blue zoo aquatics. But I only feed them this when I'm in a hurry and don't have enough time to prep my LRS frozen.

vladandlilith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also got some SA pellets just in case I get a fish from SA that will not eat the other stuff that I have. I can get you some if you need it.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also got some SA pellets just in case I get a fish from SA that will not eat the other stuff that I have. I can get you some if you need it.
Thanks, I still have half a container full. They seem to be liking the Thera +A so I'll stick with that for now. I'll contact you though if I end up with some stubborn fish. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for their input as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back