What is your go to method to removing phosphates?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jayteerq
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I'm not sure, just tossing out an idea here, but isn't there a "flavor" of Chemi Pure that contains GFO, and could that maybe be a little easier for the OP to use? Plus, I'd imagine it's less efficient than a GFO reactor, so less likely to bottom out phosphate altogether. Just thinking out loud 🤔
Yes. That flavor is called Chemipure Elite.
 
This stuff does exactly what it claims.

IMG_0147.jpg
I wanted to try this also!
 
I wanted to try this also!
That product is also made from lanthanum, just like Brightwell Phosphate E.

Both have the same risk as any lanthanum product. It’s in the disclaimer here:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/500-...QPxeRV3TUm__3J-o6UVFv9Js6dJHirkCMasB2GyOHAMoI
Caution:

1. Some tangs and potentially other fish may be sensitive to Lanthanum treatments. Excercise caution and do not dose to the display. In tanks where this may be a concern, we recommend starting at a very low dosage followed by careful observation. Should you observe any signs of stress in individual organisms, you should stop the treatment for 1 – 2 days or until the symptoms have disappeared and then continue at a half dose.
 
Phosphate minus in a bag on tpp of overflow. I have also ran it in one of the 400 micron nylon socks you see.
Rinsing the product will make it less effective per their recommendation.
20250720_184559.jpg
 
Algea scrubber love mine if not go with phosguard
 
Like the OP, I have a refugium with a ball of Chaeto. Unfortunally, it doesn't really control the phosphates by itself. I have anthias and feed pretty heavy.

I ended up trying GFO, and like the OP was having trouble with it stripping the phos out to zero so fast.... and then presumably more would leach out of the rocks and it would shoot up again.... it was hard to avoid wild swings.

I have an apex and a Trident NP, so I ended up doing some code that adjust the number of hours the reactor was run daily based on the phos level for that day. I ended up making several virtual outlets.

This has ended up working really well for me. When the GFO is new it only runs for a short period each day. As the GFO starts to get used up it has to start running longer each day.

It's not perfect but has done well for me.

The weak link in the chain is the Trident NP.... which can come with its own set of problems.......
 
I wanted to try this also!
I'm also not a fan of gfo and the mess involved. Once you know what your tank is consuming and most importantly not this stuff is very easy to dial in. I have four tangs "no yellows" and everyone seems healthy.

Not sure exactly why it would effect yellows and not any other zebrasomas? I guess that's a rabbit hole for a different day?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new