What is your preference when it comes to salt mix?

Tyler Miceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have used both red sea coral pro and regular salt mix. Was thinking of trying out Fritz reef pro mix. Any input from those that use?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tropic marin pro but used to use Red Sea coral salt only switched when I got more into sps and desired a lower Alk.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Fritz (blue box) for over a year. I never felt like my chem was stable using it. I think part of the issue is that there is settling in that big box, so it isn't always the same each scoop. I also have humidity issues (SWFL), which renders the box one big salt rock.
I started using two little fishies Accurasea. It comes in little bags, premeasured for 5 gallons. I've noticed that when I mixed the Fritz, it was always cloudy and left a lot of silt and scum in the bucket (and sump). Since I started using two little fishies, I can see that it mixes very clear in a short amount of time.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz RPM is my go to. I loved reef crystals for a while but it takes so long to mix clear, since I went to Fritz I dont see myself going back. It mixes clear in less than 5 minutes.
Same, mixes clean and on point, getting no crud at all in my mixing bin after months of use, was surprised at this low price point.

Consider that in Canada, Tropic Marin is being sold at 179.00 a bucket, Red Sea at 125.00, and Fritz at 70.00.

My LFS is selling these 4-1 of all else.

looks like someone wants a market.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at an LFS that uses fritz. Our tank parameters are always shifting. And we had one box mix with unreadable MAG. I personally use brightwell. Used IO for a long time as well. Most of the people really into reefing have told me any salt mix works, besides fritz that stuff sucks. (Direct quote from WWC employee). Not to discredit any brand specifically. I everyone that I know who uses it eventually has issues. It does mix very fast though.

OP
OP
T

Tyler Miceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of pros for most of the salt listed from you guys. I was interested in the price point of Fritz, seems like best bang for your buck

OP
OP
T

Tyler Miceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at an LFS that uses fritz. Our tank parameters are always shifting. And we had one box mix with unreadable MAG. I personally use brightwell. Used IO for a long time as well. Most of the people really into reefing have told me any salt mix works, besides fritz that stuff sucks. (Direct quote from WWC employee). Not to discredit any brand specifically. I everyone that I know who uses it eventually has issues. It does mix very fast though.
What is your parameters typically with that?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your parameters typically with that?
Mine is testing right on point after 12 boxes,
Alk 144ppm
CA 450ppm
MG 1320ppm

Love the stuff, tank looks great
C1DDBA52-F744-4954-A5EE-EA076B29F12F.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea, and it works great. What issues are you having with the Red Sea that would cause you to switch brands?
For me it was price and mixing.
RSBB mixed real close to Fritz Blue, but, at times, was cloudy.
I need to clean the mix bucket often.
I love Red Sea Products but found it was hard to pay the 50.00 a bucket extra.

OP
OP
T

Tyler Miceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea, and it works great. What issues are you having with the Red Sea that would cause you to switch brands?
Cant say I've had a bad experience with RedSea. Was more so about hearing other opinions. I switched from coral pro to blue bucket. Been mixing half and half just finished the coral pro.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back