• Other, specify in post

Votes: 47 22.2%

• Total voters

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is vermetid snails. My last tank had hundreds of these that came and went. My current tank that's 6 months old started with mostly dry rock, dry sand, and a few pieces of carefully inspected live rock. All corals and frags were also inspected and dipped, yet I'm now experiencing a booming population of them.

Last week I got an Apex alert that my backup ATO float switch was on. Went in for inspection and saw the main float switch still in the low position. Pulled the switch and notice a vermetid snail had grown on it and jammed it. Also today I decided to do a frag mounting session as all the frags were doing good where I placed them. Didn't pick up a piece of live rock or frag that didn't have a snail on it.

I think they're multiplying because of my increased feedings to try and raise nutrients. Hopefully once I achieve that and find a nice balance I can back off and the population will be more manageable like my last tank.

What are you currently dealing with and how do you plan on remedying?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown, like everyone else’s has a mean streak. 5” 10 year ole clarkii with sharp teeth. Super hand aggressive and totally fearless. But she’s not my nemesis.

My nemesis is a combination of discosoma shrooms and aiptasia. I’d venture to say the shrooms are worse between the two of them. They sting harder and grow bigger. I’m constantly nuking them both by the dozen and they always grow back and spread

OP
OP
TangingOut

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm kinda worried about my clowns reaching sexual maturity. They already have a BTA they call home, but aren't aggressive yet.

juniorrocketdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oscelaris clowns are fed the tank bullies which was shocking because they aren’t spawning yet and they’re in a 70 gallon tank

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is vermetid snails. My last tank had hundreds of these that came and went. My current tank that's 6 months old started with mostly dry rock, dry sand, and a few pieces of carefully inspected live rock. All corals and frags were also inspected and dipped, yet I'm now experiencing a booming population of them.

Last week I got an Apex alert that my backup ATO float switch was on. Went in for inspection and saw the main float switch still in the low position. Pulled the switch and notice a vermetid snail had grown on it and jammed it. Also today I decided to do a frag mounting session as all the frags were doing good where I placed them. Didn't pick up a piece of live rock or frag that didn't have a snail on it.

I think they're multiplying because of my increased feedings to try and raise nutrients. Hopefully once I achieve that and find a nice balance I can back off and the population will be more manageable like my last tank.

What are you currently dealing with and how do you plan on remedying?
God i hate those snails

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently discovered my ATO was contaminated with a bacterial fungi that was leaching into my tank. this deadly fungi clinged to my aquascape and all of my zoas and gsp. The fungi started to look like a white hair algea but would collect debris. I’m still recovering but my Zoe’s and gsp are on the up n up

Last edited:

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag of some big palys and I can tell they are going to overrun all the others in that area. Glued them in so well, can't get the frag off. Might take that rock out to put in the 125 when it is going. Has another group of small palys on it and a frag of zoa's that I might see if I can remove. Not my nemises yet but will be...

OP
OP
TangingOut

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently discovered my ATO was contaminated with a bacterial fungi that was leaching into my tank. this deadly fungi clinged to my aquascape and all of my zoas and gsp. The fungi started to look like a white hair algea but would collect debris. I’m still recovering but my Zoe’s and gsp are on the up n up

That's a new one. I think I have something similar going on, but so far it only on the overflow and one of my live rocks. How did you figure out what it was?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a new one. I think I have something similar going on, but so far it only on the overflow and one of my live rocks. How did you figure out what it was?
I saw the problem when I went to refill my ATO. Inside the reservoir was millions of little white uglies. It looked as if I got a bunch of toilet paper and let it mix and dissolve

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have algea blowing around on the overflow too but this was different. It would grow over my zoas and gsp

OP
OP
TangingOut

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the problem when I went to refill my ATO. Inside the reservoir was millions of little white uglies. It looked as if I got a bunch of toilet paper and let it mix and dissolve

Oh OK. I know that my RODI reservoir has bacteria in it with the slime like coating on the walls of the container, but it hasn't gotten to that point yet. I think before my next refill I'm going to clean it out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back