What is your thought on a 1 inch tang in one of my friends nano tanks

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I mean why would you put a tang in a 10G? The're way to big of fish to keep in a 10G, your not going to be able to really put anything in it, besides a couple tiny inverts and shrimp, because if there is rock and sand, it takes away about 20% of the water volume, so you really will only have 8 gallons of water in the tank, which will almost be impossible to keep stable parameters. Plus, moving fish between tanks is very stressful for the fish. Just get a tang and leave it in your tank. If your friend really wants a tang, he needs to get at least a 75G tank.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me a tang policeman, but any size tang should never be in a 10 gallon tank outside a fish store. They're aggressive swimmers. My tomini tang was less than an inch long when I got it. It swam the entire length, width, and depth of my 120 gallon tank from day 1 of having it

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can my friend keep a tang in a 10 gallon 2ft nano for a bit what tang would you recommend when it gets bigger I will take it from him
I would suggest a Gem or an Achilles if it was going to be mine later.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 100 gallon 5 ft red sea
An adult scopas tang is arguably too big for YOUR tank

Can my friend not even keep a dwarf Angel in there
A dwarf angel is also a no. There are very few fish that would be happy in a 10 gallon tank for any length of time in the saltwater hobby.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tank do you have @Cthulukelele
I have a 4 foot 120. I wouldn't keep a scopas tang in it because I don't personally think it's big enough for an adult scopas. I keep a tomini tang, and at times even that tang makes my tank seem small and cramped for it.

@Cthulukelele what can my friend put in his tank that would be fine for 6 months then
My suggestion for tanks that small is almost always a type of goby, a dartfish, or an ocellaris clown (pushing it size wise)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back