What is your thought on a 1 inch tang in one of my friends nano tanks

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cthulukelele what can my friend put in his tank that would be fine for 6 months then

The smaller Goby's, minus the dragonet's.
A Orchid Dotty back, but has to be the last fish in.

A pair of Ocellerius clowns, but i think eventually they might need to be moved out.

And no you can not stock all of these at the same time.

Id say max about 3 fishes. Possibly 4 if you have a skimmer, but the skimmer would take up a lot of room inside the tank.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smaller Goby's, minus the dragonet's.
A Orchid Dotty back, but has to be the last fish in.

A pair of Ocellerius clowns, but i think eventually they might need to be moved out.

And no you can not stock all of these at the same time.
Yeah a pair of adult clowns would really push it. If you reallllllyyy wanted to stretch the limits I would say you could get away with a very young non-ocellaris clown if you were planning to move it after a year or so to your tank

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can my friend keep a tang in a 10 gallon 2ft nano for a bit what tang would you recommend when it gets bigger I will take it from him
Can your "friend" keep a tang in a 10 gallon tank? Sure.
Should your "friend" keep a tang in a 10 gallon tank? No.

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can my friend keep a tang in a 10 gallon 2ft nano for a bit what tang would you recommend when it gets bigger I will take it from him
I would say short term it would likely be ok but it's not ideal for sure. As many will tell you tangs need good space to swim but if your tank is not ready at the moment but will be soon I don't see a big issue with it as they would be kept this way in a LFS.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, for a couple reasons, its way to small (the tank for the tang), smaller tangs are more delicate, and a 10 gallon tank with a new aquarist is not a good idea.

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it physically fit? Sure!

Is this a humane or responsible way to treat a likely endangered fish species? Not remotely!

Get a yellow watchman goby, or a dottyback, or a cleaner shrimp, or a clown and BTA if you want some personality in a 10 gal. But tiny reefs are tough! The skeletons of SPS and LPS that got fried in my Evo13 by a single afternoon with the room AC left in August 2021 will tell you…

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably do a NASO tang
They almost get 2 feet long, so it’ll fit in the tank like a glove.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say short term it would likely be ok but it's not ideal for sure. As many will tell you tangs need good space to swim but if your tank is not ready at the moment but will be soon I don't see a big issue with it as they would be kept this way in a LFS.
Most fish stores do have bigger fish like tangs in smaller tanks like ten gallons, but it's ok for a few reasons:

1: They know that the fish will be bought soon, and its not going to stay in it for more than a few days to weeks.

2: Most of the tanks have connected sumps, so there will be a lot more water for water parameters to be stable. In just a 10 gallon, water parameters will never be stable. If you are to put fish in a tank this small, make sure you put hardy fish in that can handle parameter swings.

3. Most of the tanks dont have anything in them, just the fish and maybe a small pvc pipe for them to hide in, so there really is 10 gallons. While you never really gave us much info on his tank, most likely they have rock and or sand, which could take upwards of 2 gallons of space, therefore only a TINY amount of swimming space..

Please, please, please dont put a tang even if it is a baby in it. It's is almost animal abuse. Just picture your self in a tiny, cramped space where you couldn't escape. You'd hate life, and so would the fish in a 10 gallon tank, and yes, even if it is a baby. Fish grow. If your friend really wanted a tang, he should of planned better and got the appropriate size tank.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon Hippo Tang:
lg_70444_Yellowtail_Damselfish.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would not as it will grow fast enough but =1" ??? That just hatched from it mother, , LOL
While 10g seems roomy, it will be temporary

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back