What is your thought process when stocking a new tank

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
573
Reaction score
527
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you first set up a tank and have it cycled and ready to add in some fish what is your thought process? Do you go for the smaller more skittish fish first to let them establish their territory and feel more comfortable when new fish are added in. Do you go for more outgoing peaceful fish to act as dither fish whenever you add in your other inhabitants. And do you plan out exactly what you want to add in from the get go, or do you just see what's available at the time?
 
Plan far in advance around the "got to have'" fish, so I don't later get boxed in by 'incompatibility' issues.
 
I haven't set up a new tank in several years, but when I do, I get fish in order of price with the least expensive first. That way by the time I get to more expensive fish I have had a while to get kinks worked out and things are more stable.
I QT new additions using the protocol from this forum which spreads acquisitions several weeks apart.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 15 24.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 8.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new