What killed my two clownfish at the same time? velvet?

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this was back when live rock was actually live rock we used to get it from Fiji and there was tons of bacteria

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen discussions from very experienced hobbies, that indicate the occurrence of fish disease is more common now than it used to be. And that is possibly due to the lack of bacteria we start out with now in the hobby

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have access to Ocean sand and ocean water locally. Then I would recommend you start with a natural sandbed from your Beach, and a few small rocks if you can find them. You can cycle your tank this way for a couple of months before you add fish that way you will eliminate most parasites. And try not to introduce them while stoking the tank. If you buy aquacultured fish you'll have a great chance of doing this. Otherwise you'll have to set up quarantine tanks and premedicate.

Last edited:

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe that my experience is due to the introduction of natural beneficial bacteria from the ocean. And possibly being lucky enough to obtain a fish that was not already diseased. But I cannot confirm that he had immune in place to fight a disease he possibly had. In human terms, we sometimes see people who are more vulnerable to certain disease and sickness, while other people seem to thrive with a poor diet and they smoke cigarettes all their life. Other people don't do so well.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a damsel that lived in a 55 gallon tank all by himself for the same amount of time with no issue and very minimal maintenance. No water testing no water changes no nothing. But that tank was also established with poor maintenance for at least a year

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 55 gallon tank had ick at one time, that killed a tang. But the damsel never showed any symptoms. Even after years.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did struggle eating the food, not sure if size of the pellet or brooklynella. I thought they were popular pellets people used solely. Either way, I'll do some research on the pellets. Don't want this to happen again
Your face did not die because of its diet.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can’t set up a qt tank. My tank is only 20g anyways. Thanks though, I’m halfway through the fallow period thankfully
Now that you've known a disease like brookynella, I'm sure you can make an effort and set up a 10 gallon qt tank, be prepared with meds just in case, in fact depending on the fallow period you have, you could start to quarantine your next fish early, but get a more reliable supplier to start with, and be prepared with more variety of food, that should help a lot.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them for only 3 weeks and fed them every day. I used: new life spectrum thera+A. Can brook take both the same time?
Yes, fish with Brook could die at the same time, but its just that velvet kills fish much more quickly, so there is more of a chance of them dying at nearly the same time with velvet, where with Brook it could be one dies one day and the other dies a day or two later. I'm just trying to work of what clues are there....either way, it looks like it was a protozoan infection - sorry!

You should leave your tank with no fish in it for 60 days, just to ensure any remaining disease dies out due to lack of a host.

Jay

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you've known a disease like brookynella, I'm sure you can make an effort and set up a 10 gallon qt tank, be prepared with meds just in case, in fact depending on the fallow period you have, you could start to quarantine your next fish early, but get a more reliable supplier to start with, and be prepared with more variety of food, that should help a lot.
I will look into a variety of food, thank you! Unfortunately I got them from a very popular supplier here in Ontario. I’ll have to try somewhere else I guess lol

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, fish with Brook could die at the same time, but its just that velvet kills fish much more quickly, so there is more of a chance of them dying at nearly the same time with velvet, where with Brook it could be one dies one day and the other dies a day or two later. I'm just trying to work of what clues are there....either way, it looks like it was a protozoan infection - sorry!

You should leave your tank with no fish in it for 60 days, just to ensure any remaining disease dies out due to lack of a host.

Jay

Thanks for all the information and advice!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back