What killed my two clownfish at the same time? velvet?

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*pictures of dead fish below*

My tank is fairly new. I have had a cleanup crew: turbo snail, nassarius snails, hermits, blood shrimp that have been in the tank for a few months. November 17th I purchased two clownfish. I acclimated them and my parameters have not strayed since the day I got them.

The first few days they swam towards the wavemaker, but would take breaks and hang out somewhere else so I didn't think much of it. They would pick at the food pellets but not entirely eat them or they would hold the pellet in their mouth and swim around with it until they eventually dropped it. I ended up crushing them in half and they would eat a bit more. A week later I began to notice a bit of white on the one clownfish. It wasn't much and I wasn't sure if it was sand or something else. They were acting fairly normal to me. At the beginning of December the white got a little bit more noticeable. One of the clownfish I would see rubbing against my zoas and at the time I thought it was trying to be hosted but now I am not sure.

Anyways, December 13th I woke up to my one clownfish dead and the other one died a few minutes later. All of my inverts and corals are good. Nothing was sprayed in the room, nothing was put in the tank, my equipment was functioning, and my parameters were good.

I've been fallow since December 13th so I just want opinions on what it was so I know how long to go fallow for. Right now my guess is velvet and I am planning on waiting 6-7 weeks.

Please help :( I'm pretty bummed that my first two fish in my reef tank went out like this. Didn't even have them for a full month.

IMG_4770 (1).jpg IMG_4817.jpg IMG_4889 (1).jpg 69264093332__82B5E149-7D1E-4D18-A6E5-595D9997465C (1).jpg IMG_5039 (1).jpg IMG_5038 (1).jpg IMG_5035 (1).jpg IMG_5034 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5037.MOV
    14.5 MB

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank is fairly new. I have had a cleanup crew: turbo snail, nassarius snails, hermits, blood shrimp that have been in the tank for a few months. November 17th I purchased two clownfish. I acclimated them and my parameters have not strayed since the day I got them.

The first few days they swam towards the wavemaker, but would take breaks and hang out somewhere else so I didn't think much of it. They would pick at the food pellets but not entirely eat them or they would hold the pellet in their mouth and swim around with it until they eventually dropped it. I ended up crushing them in half and they would eat a bit more. A week later I began to notice a bit of white on the one clownfish. It wasn't much and I wasn't sure if it was sand or something else. They were acting fairly normal to me. At the beginning of December the white got a little bit more noticeable. One of the clownfish I would see rubbing against my zoas and at the time I thought it was trying to be hosted but now I am not sure.

Anyways, December 13th I woke up to my one clownfish dead and the other one died a few minutes later. All of my inverts and corals are good. Nothing was sprayed in the room, nothing was put in the tank, my equipment was functioning, and my parameters were good.

I've been fallow since December 13th so I just want opinions on what it was so I know how long to go fallow for. Right now my guess is velvet and I am planning on waiting 6-7 weeks.

Please help :( I'm pretty bummed that my first two fish in my reef tank went out like this. Didn't even have them for a full month.

IMG_4770 (1).jpg IMG_4817.jpg IMG_4889 (1).jpg 69264093332__82B5E149-7D1E-4D18-A6E5-595D9997465C (1).jpg IMG_5039 (1).jpg IMG_5038 (1).jpg IMG_5035 (1).jpg IMG_5034 (1).jpg
Probably Brooklynella(mucous coat). Brooklynella is originally known as clownfish disease. This is often seen in clownfish. You can refer this https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never saw mucus type stuff unless it is in these pictures and I just don’t know what it looks like. Can they still get white dots?
They appear asymptomatic for months/years, but then brook comes back following a "stressor event

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

There is more than just a mucus coat which they already have to determine brook. They suffer from secondary bacterial issues also they look quite thin. If you were feeding flakes and pellets exclusively, may have been an inadequate diet. Its hard to tell from dead fish especially after two hours of perish.
Any signs you noticed such as lethargic behavior, loss of appetite, heavy breathing, flashing ?
I see in tank pics what may be cyano or dino - can you post a couple pics of tank under white lighting ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see. The fish in the video does look thin. It was breathing fast, but not as fast as velvet usually causes. Both fish dying at nearly the same time can be of velvet though.
The skin discoloration does tend to point to Brooklynella though.

Jay

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more than just a mucus coat which they already have to determine brook. They suffer from secondary bacterial issues also they look quite thin. If you were feeding flakes and pellets exclusively, may have been an inadequate diet. Its hard to tell from dead fish especially after two hours of perish.
Any signs you noticed such as lethargic behavior, loss of appetite, heavy breathing, flashing ?
I see in tank pics what may be cyano or dino - can you post a couple pics of tank under white lighting ?
I don’t have many pics with white lighting so I hope this shows it better. My tank is only a few months old. I was feeding: new life thera+A

They seemed to want the food, they did eat more when I crushed them up though. I didn’t notice any heavy breathing. One time it looked like one was choking on a piece of food and that’s when I began to make them smaller. No crazy behaviour swimming wise, just playing in the wavemaker’s current and the occasional twitching clownfish do.

Attachments

• 1638AFC1-4479-48C4-A438-174FA8686D05.jpeg
    1638AFC1-4479-48C4-A438-174FA8686D05.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see. The fish in the video does look thin. It was breathing fast, but not as fast as velvet usually causes. Both fish dying at nearly the same time can be of velvet though.
The skin discoloration does tend to point to Brooklynella though.

Jay
I had them for only 3 weeks and fed them every day. I used: new life spectrum thera+A. Can brook take both the same time?

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like brooklynella. I suggest you go fallow for 6 weeks minimum, 8 is better. Set up a quarantine tank and follow Jay Hemdal's thread for the QT procedures in the future.
Unfortunately I can’t set up a qt tank. My tank is only 20g anyways. Thanks though, I’m halfway through the fallow period thankfully

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don’t have many pics with white lighting so I hope this shows it better. My tank is only a few months old. I was feeding: new life thera+A

They seemed to want the food, they did eat more when I crushed them up though. I didn’t notice any heavy breathing. One time it looked like one was choking on a piece of food and that’s when I began to make them smaller. No crazy behaviour swimming wise, just playing in the wavemaker’s current and the occasional twitching clownfish do.
The stuff is diatoms and the fish do show signs of Brooklynella in the pics which would have had to be treated with a
formalin solution but temporary relief can also be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work. keep this in mind for the future

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff is diatoms and the fish do show signs of Brooklynella in the pics which would have had to be treated with a
formalin solution but temporary relief can also be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work. keep this in mind for the future
Thanks, I'll keep note of that. Is the food I was using good? I fed them the recommended serving of the size of their eye every day

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks, I'll keep note of that. Is the food I was using good? I fed them the recommended serving of the size of their eye every day
I now have 10 clowns. They all get frozen such as :
LRS fish frenzy
Spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
marine cuisine
chopped krill
small plankton

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it looks like brooke, and I am sorry for your loss. Unfortunately once a fish has Brooke immediate treatment is necessary or they will usually not survive. However many clownfish will have a high resistance even with a poor diet. I'm not advocating that anyone does this but, what I'm trying to say is that some fish are just stronger than others. I'm not proud to say it, but I had a tomato clown that lived through evaporating water to like 50% and just flake food. So some fish are just much more harder than others.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tomato clown lived for the few years I had it I'm not sure what happened after I left it with someone else. But that fish like I said lived for a good few years with very poor treatment in a tank with a wild caught flounder and did just fine. This is of course not the typical circumstance but just my experience.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it looks like brooke, and I am sorry for your loss. Unfortunately once a fish has Brooke immediate treatment is necessary or they will usually not survive. However many clownfish will have a high resistance even with a poor diet. I'm not advocating that anyone does this but, what I'm trying to say is that some fish are just stronger than others. I'm not proud to say it, but I had a tomato clown that lived through evaporating water to like 50% and just flake food. So some fish are just much more harder than others.
They did struggle eating the food, not sure if size of the pellet or brooklynella. I thought they were popular pellets people used solely. Either way, I'll do some research on the pellets. Don't want this to happen again

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a 10 gallon aquarium with only a power filter. No water changes, and flake food. The tank had been set up for about a year with fairly normal routine maintenance. So he had a decent start. I guess what I'm trying to say is in an established tank a healthy fish can endure a lot. But once you have a disease like that you're in trouble.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did struggle eating the food, not sure if size of the pellet or brooklynella. I thought they were popular pellets people used solely. Either way, I'll do some research on the pellets. Don't want this to happen again
Well unfortunately once a disease occurs there is a low likelihood it will survive. Unless you are really diligent and experienced.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 10 gallon tank was started with a small piece of live rock and crushed Coral. This was about 30 years ago

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back