What kind of a cone snail is this?

Psyche-almu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I am currently in Maldives on a vacation. I was snorkeling, and I saw the most beautiful cone snail, and I picked it up bare hands ( I didn't know that it could be poisonous). After doing some research online, I found that cone snails can be fatal! Others would sting like a bee!

The picture is attached, can someone please tell me the name or type of this particular beautiful cone snail?

Thanks in advance!

IMG-20210716-WA0005.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks most similar to a Hebrew cone, Conus ebraeus. This is a common shallow water species. I do NOT know if they are venomous to humans or not.

Jay

OP
OP
Psyche-almu

Psyche-almu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks most similar to a Hebrew cone, Conus ebraeus. This is a common shallow water species. I do NOT know if they are venomous to humans or not.

Jay
Thanks Jay for the reply.
Indeed it looks similar. I looked up the name you mentioned, and it says it is venomous.
I got confused though, because of the similarities between types of cone snails. And I don't know how to differentiate.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay for the reply.
Indeed it looks similar. I looked up the name you mentioned, and it says it is venomous.
I got confused though, because of the similarities between types of cone snails. And I don't know how to differentiate.
All cone shells are venomous, this one feeds on polychaete worms, so for sure can kill those. The question is if they are medically significant to humans, and that I don't know. One of the cones shells we have has up to a 60% mortality rate in humans with no antivenom, we handle that one very carefully (Geographic cone)

Jay

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back