What kind of algae is this???

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t figure out what kind of algae this is. It started to close my Zoes. I just put in new carbon yesterday and it is still there. I thought it would make it go away.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it is clumpy in some spots. I don’t know about bubbly. Here’s a picture of a clumpy area kinda

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be cyanobacteria. Increased flow will also help with the cyanobacteria.

If it's cyanobacteria, you should be able siphon it up in large matts.
I just realied I had a bag of purigen in my sump that I forgot had been in there for 3 months. Could that have been a phosphate sink and not allow the algae to go away? If it doesn’t get better by Friday, I will try and siphon it out.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realied I had a bag of purigen in my sump that I forgot had been in there for 3 months. Could that have been a phosphate sink and not allow the algae to go away? If it doesn’t get better by Friday, I will try and siphon it out.
I don't use purigen, but any absorbent medium can become saturated and leech nutrients back into the water if left in too long.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it kind of breaks up into dust, it's diatoms. If it stays together in a sheet like you said, it is very likely cyano (which is not always red).

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it kind of breaks up into dust, it's diatoms. If it stays together in a sheet like you said, it is very likely cyano (which is not always red).
To piggyback, if it's snotty and has visible bubbles, it's most likely dinoflagellates.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay! I will try and siphon it if it stays much longer. Thank you!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start with dry rock?

Are you treating the tank with anything to remove phosphates or nitrates?

Are you carbon dosing?

How old is this tank?

What are your most recent test results for NO3 and PO4? How normal are those readings?

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start with dry rock?

Are you treating the tank with anything to remove phosphates or nitrates?

Are you carbon dosing?

How old is this tank?

What are your most recent test results for NO3 and PO4? How normal are those readings?
I started with a mix of dry and live rock. I started with a 46 gallon tank and moved all the rock from that tank and then got dry rock to help fill the tank. I change out a bag of carbon once a week and change the filter sock every second day, so it doesn’t build up. I only empty the protein skimmer every 4 days or so when it fills up. This tank has been set up for 2 months, but some of the rock and media has been cycling for 5 months. I tested the tank last Friday and PO4 was pretty low and NO3 was a little higher, but still within normal range. That being said, I still wanted to bring it down.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said, I still wanted to bring it down.

Ix-nay on at-they.

I'd even stop using the carbon until someday when you need it. A new tank shouldn't need it, and it might hurt.

Skimming is unlikely to hurt and that's the most you should be doing to filter a tank that new – especially one started with dry rock.

There are no perfect numbers to chase, but in theory if your phosphates are not zero AND you have anywhere around 16 times the amount of nitrogen as phosphorus, you're fine – you do not have a nutrient problem. If algae starts to grow, you might need to increase your CUC, but that's about it.

If only nitrates or only phosphates are accumulating, then you know you have a problem....something has things out of balance.

If you feed VERY regularly (maybe even use an auto-feeder) and DO NOT spike your tank with nutrients (often by adding a lot of fish or corals at once) you really shouldn't have a problem. :)

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ix-nay on at-they.

I'd even stop using the carbon until someday when you need it. A new tank shouldn't need it, and it might hurt.

Skimming is unlikely to hurt and that's the most you should be doing to filter a tank that new – especially one started with dry rock.

There are no perfect numbers to chase, but in theory if your phosphates are not zero AND you have anywhere around 16 times the amount of nitrogen as phosphorus, you're fine – you do not have a nutrient problem. If algae starts to grow, you might need to increase your CUC, but that's about it.

If only nitrates or only phosphates are accumulating, then you know you have a problem....something has things out of balance.

If you feed VERY regularly (maybe even use an auto-feeder) and DO NOT spike your tank with nutrients (often by adding a lot of fish or corals at once) you really shouldn't have a problem. :)
Thank you very much! If you don’t think carbon is needed, then I will take it out. I didn’t use it for a while, but when I saw algae I added it. I did move from a 46 gallon, to a 75, then to a 90, so maybe all that moving caused levels to go crazy. I do feed 2 times a day but I only had 2 clown fish when this problem started and just added a tomini tang two days ago, so I don’t feed too much at all.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back