What kind of Coldwater Macro Algae are there?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I've gotten fairly interested in Coldwater Tanks, thanks to the Catarina Gobies and Hulafish, and thought having a Coldwater Tank would be pretty cool! I kind of want to have a twist to mine, by having it planted. Doing some research led me to no results, so, what kind of Coldwater Macro Algae there? Somewhat easy to grow as well? Thank you! The tank would be around 10-20g for a small group of Catalina Gobies im planning

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider Gracilaria Tikvahiae, often called Red Ogo. This article describes open ocean cultivation in Long Island Sound. I think AlgaeBarn calls it Green Ogo.

How cold for the Gobies?

@Paul B
Are you aware of this Ogo Farm? Maybe you could introduce your pod friends to the Ogo Farm for a real orgy at sea.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@northwest_fish_keeping_

How far from Pacific Coast are you? I suspect you could find kelp washed up on beach after rough seas. A friend did a Chesapeake Bay theme tank with native Gobies and a live oyster cluster full of filter feeder biodiversity.

All species of Gracilaria are highly variable depending on the environment collected, which can make proper identification difficult. Tikvahiae features green, brown and red coloration with long, slender, cylindrical branches attached by a single holdfast. In turbulent environments it grows more compact and the branches can be somewhat flattened. Most all varieties are found in moderate to shallow water, attached to hard bottom and rock outcroppings. Species of Tikvahiae are also found as free floating specimens, lacking any holdfast, composed of a large circular clump. This particular red algae does very well in the marine aquarium or refugium and is a great food source for fish. Its growth is slow to moderate depending on the availability of light and nutrients. Most species of Gracilaria do well with moderate current and brightly lit aquariums. In the refugium, it is most commonly allowed to tumble continuously with moderate to high flow. Very palatable to tangs and angels as well as other herbivores.​
Aquarium Care Information
Scientific Name: Gracilaria Tikvahiae
Common Name: Red Gracilaria
Origin: Gulf of Mexico. Atlantic, Caribbean
Maximum Height : 16"
Growth Rate: Moderate
Light: Moderate to High
Temperature: 78-86
Propagation: Fragmentation, Sporulation
Difficulty: Easy
Food Value: Palatable
Nutrient Uptake: Good
Flow Rate: Moderate
Copyright © 2010 GCE All rights reserved. No part of this online publication may be reproduced in any form by any means without the expressed permission of the author. All images are the property of Gulf Coast Ecosystems unless otherwise noted and should not be reproduced or distributed without permission.​

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@northwest_fish_keeping_

How far from Pacific Coast are you? I suspect you could find kelp washed up on beach after rough seas. A friend did a Chesapeake Bay theme tank with native Gobies and a live oyster cluster full of filter feeder biodiversity.

All species of Gracilaria are highly variable depending on the environment collected, which can make proper identification difficult. Tikvahiae features green, brown and red coloration with long, slender, cylindrical branches attached by a single holdfast. In turbulent environments it grows more compact and the branches can be somewhat flattened. Most all varieties are found in moderate to shallow water, attached to hard bottom and rock outcroppings. Species of Tikvahiae are also found as free floating specimens, lacking any holdfast, composed of a large circular clump. This particular red algae does very well in the marine aquarium or refugium and is a great food source for fish. Its growth is slow to moderate depending on the availability of light and nutrients. Most species of Gracilaria do well with moderate current and brightly lit aquariums. In the refugium, it is most commonly allowed to tumble continuously with moderate to high flow. Very palatable to tangs and angels as well as other herbivores.​
Aquarium Care Information
Scientific Name: Gracilaria Tikvahiae
Common Name: Red Gracilaria
Origin: Gulf of Mexico. Atlantic, Caribbean
Maximum Height : 16"
Growth Rate: Moderate
Light: Moderate to High
Temperature: 78-86
Propagation: Fragmentation, Sporulation
Difficulty: Easy
Food Value: Palatable
Nutrient Uptake: Good
Flow Rate: Moderate
Copyright © 2010 GCE All rights reserved. No part of this online publication may be reproduced in any form by any means without the expressed permission of the author. All images are the property of Gulf Coast Ecosystems unless otherwise noted and should not be reproduced or distributed without permission.​
thanks! I live in Washington and theres a beach about 10 minutes away that's apart of Puget Sound, I could maybe get some stuff that washes up

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a red macro that looks kind of like red grape but it is cold water. I used to have it growing in my cold water tank until my urchin ate it.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Botryocladia?

Yes, it looks a lot like that but bigger bubbles. Not sure the species... here is a pic. This came from oregon.

1603157074192.png

Michelada Palooza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I've gotten fairly interested in Coldwater Tanks, thanks to the Catarina Gobies and Hulafish, and thought having a Coldwater Tank would be pretty cool! I kind of want to have a twist to mine, by having it planted. Doing some research led me to no results, so, what kind of Coldwater Macro Algae there? Somewhat easy to grow as well? Thank you! The tank would be around 10-20g for a small group of Catalina Gobies im planning
I've just started the same species specific tank & have the same questions. Thanks for starting the thread!

The cheato in the tank dies off and adds nutrients to the water, so I need something else. Headed to the beach to get bull kelp, ulva, & some sort of reddish Gracilaria that I see when surfing. We also have some cool seagrass in the wetlands I might try.

I plan on giving em a R/O dip, quick coral dip, & place em in some mixed saltwater with flow for a few days to observe before putting em in the tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back