What kind of crab is this?

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was sold to me as a pitho crab, but doesn't look like the others, the others are white colored
20240306_082525.jpg

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the other two, I'm not even sure if they are the same, one has long claw arms and the other is short
20240306_082843.jpg

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two in the second picture look like Pithos to me, carapace shape looks right etc. First picture it’s a bit harder to see but the hairy legs are right. Claw size could be male vs female?

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two in the second picture look like Pithos to me, carapace shape looks right etc. First picture it’s a bit harder to see but the hairy legs are right. Claw size could be male vs female?
What do you think the first crab is? Are you saying it is gorilla crab because hairy legs?

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. A little hard to see. I agree the carapace looks darker, but Pithos have hairy legs too so that’s consistent. Is it eating algae? My Pithos are voracious algae eaters

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this one specifically ate all my bubble algae, but my bubble algae is completely gone, this guy does eat green algae sheets. The reason I'm asking is because I had a zoa that is gone now so I'm assuming someone ate it. I didnt think pitho crabs eat zoas.
Not sure. A little hard to see. I agree the carapace looks darker, but Pithos have hairy legs too so that’s consistent. Is it eating algae? My Pithos are voracious algae eaters

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt I would know if mine were eating a few zoas, so can't comment there. But they do decorate a bit, may stick things to their heads for camouflage... Possibly an attempted decoration, that later fell off or didn't attach well.

edit: Actually, looking on bigger screen, the first one could be an emerald or ruby Mithrax crab? I agree the coloration is dark for a Pitho. (Emerald would be fine and also eat algae.)

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt I would know if mine were eating a few zoas, so can't comment there. But they do decorate a bit, may stick things to their heads for camouflage... Possibly an attempted decoration, that later fell off or didn't attach well.

edit: Actually, looking on bigger screen, the first one could be an emerald or ruby Mithrax crab? I agree the coloration is dark for a Pitho. (Emerald would be fine and also eat algae.)
Oh ok, that makes sense, thanks

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if it's green, then my first thought would be an Emerald Crab. Otherwise, it may still be a Pitho crab and just another species from the genus, but straight-on, white-light pics of the top of the crab (showing the full body) and of the claws (preferably from the front of the crab) would be helpful for confirming that.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back