What kind of LONG scraper would you reccomend? Or have one to part with?

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my tank being 30" deep, I'm having a hard time keeping it clean down by the sand. There are some coralline and calicum deposits that the mag float won't get off. Of course a razor blade will get them off, but by the time I have my entire arm in the tank, my head isn't where I can see what I'm doing inside. I want to get a scraper so I can get this stuff off.

I'd like to get one with a metal blade since I have glass. Also, I want at least 24" long, but I'm afraid that some of them will be too flexible at that length. Any experiences with different brands or types would be nice to hear.

If you have one you can sell/trade/give, I may be more flexible about what type I get, maybe length too.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a magnavore with an easyblade attached to it. Flawless. I suffered, like you, with algae/coraline at the bottom/edges of my 30" tall tank for almost a year before discovering this gift from the heavens. The first time I used it my tank looked like it did the very first time I filled it with water. :D

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a magnavore with an easyblade attached to it. Flawless. I suffered, like you, with algae/coraline at the bottom/edges of my 30" tall tank for almost a year before discovering this gift from the heavens. The first time I used it my tank looked like it did the very first time I filled it with water. :D

+1
couldn't ask for a better combo to clean your glass.

Incoralable

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last 25 years, I have used a length of CPVC (cut to any length you like) and cut a 45 degree angled slot at one end, just big enough to slide a new stainless steel single edge blade into. You can also cut the very end to a 45 degree angle to help it fit into tighter spaces along the bottom. I use either a Dremel or a saw to cut the slot. Works perfect and is cheap. I usually keep several of these in my stand, each a different length for cleaning different areas.

Scraper1.jpg

Runner

Grandmaster Sparky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kent Pro scraper, but do not use it much:
lg_524896_30367DZ.jpg

Mine wouldn't be long enough for you, anyway. And it takes forever scraping because the edge isn't sharp enough. So I mostly now use razor blades and reach in with my hand -- but over the last few years my deepest tank was nowhere near 30". I like the PVC idea, to be honest.

macclellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you stay on top of the magfloating, you won't get hard-to-remove algae. Prevention is key!

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the blade attachment for the mag float. I threw away the flimsy blade that came with it and use utility knife or carpet knife blades from Lowe's. They last a long time and you can sharpen them like a pocket knife.

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look into the magnavore scraper. I haven't heard of it yet.

The pvc idea sounds nice, but I kinda worry about the blade coming out. I'm assuming that you cut a small slot and use pliers to force the blade in it? I have all the stuff here to do that, so for a cost of $0, I may give it a shot.

If you stay on top of the magfloating, you won't get hard-to-remove algae. Prevention is key!
I agree. The problem is that this tank had a pretty good bit on it when I bought it. I keep my tank up pretty well, so I won't have that problem once I find a good solution for this. I just want a GOOD way to clean it so I only have to have one tool forever.

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after looking at the $100 magnavore, the PVC is looking better.

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a razor and some pvc here, so I gave it a shot. There is no flex at all with the 1" pvc, getting down to 30" depth and keeping my hands dry. It worked surprisingly well. I'll now have to consider whether something storebought could actually outperform this. The storebought ones are not actually razors, but just a piece of sheetmetal. The replacement blades for the Kent scrapers are $6 each locally.

Razor blades are much cheaper and work great.

Thanks for the tips!!

Incoralable

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I barged in to your local forum. I wasn't paying attention to where I was. Just replied to a new post.

I use the 1/2" CPVC pipe, which is much slimmer and easier to handle inside the tank without breaking stuff. I just buy the big box of stainless steel razor blades at Lowes. I think there are 100 in a box. I throw them away after each use, becaue the salt water is hard on them. Also, I like to know that I have a sharp undamaged blade when I am scraping the glass in my display. I have used numerous commerical scrapers and I always come back to these. Anyway, glad you found the tipe helpful.

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yip, it turned out well. I may try 1/2" sometime. I just had a perfect length of 1" there, so I just whacked a slot in it with a jigsaw and went with it.

I'm not sure if the blade I used was stainless or not. If it is, it's a LOW grade, because every time I use them they rust like mild steel does. My long stainless tweezers dont' rust nearly as bad, so maybe mild steel blades are what I have. I'll check Lowes for some next time I go.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back