Issues with Flipper algae scrapers?

CampAquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else have issues with the Flipper algae scrapers/blades wearing out super fast?

This is our second Flipper scraper. We originally had the Float, and it worked really well at first, but got less and less effective over about 6 months. We upgraded to the Flipper Edge, and same thing. It worked super well at first but has progressively gotten… idk, weaker?

More often than not, the metal blades will only scrape in disconnected little lines, or on one edge, etc. The packaging says you’re supposed to be able to flip the blade around to use it for twice as long, but this never fixes the problem. Is this a common issue? Are the blades bent? Or is there something wrong with the slot that holds them?

The Flipper is also coming apart more and more often, almost like the magnet is getting weaker somehow. Like it’s to the point where if I try to scrape with any speed at all, the inside-the-tank half of the scraper comes off with barely any force and floats away.

Has anyone else had similar issues? Is this normal? How did you fix it?

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else have issues with the Flipper algae scrapers/blades wearing out super fast?

This is our second Flipper scraper. We originally had the Float, and it worked really well at first, but got less and less effective over about 6 months. We upgraded to the Flipper Edge, and same thing. It worked super well at first but has progressively gotten… idk, weaker?

More often than not, the metal blades will only scrape in disconnected little lines, or on one edge, etc. The packaging says you’re supposed to be able to flip the blade around to use it for twice as long, but this never fixes the problem. Is this a common issue? Are the blades bent? Or is there something wrong with the slot that holds them?

The Flipper is also coming apart more and more often, almost like the magnet is getting weaker somehow. Like it’s to the point where if I try to scrape with any speed at all, the inside-the-tank half of the scraper comes off with barely any force and floats away.

Has anyone else had similar issues? Is this normal? How did you fix it?
I have the nano flipper and have zero issues 6 months of use one blade. Maybe it's slightly bent?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been on the same blade for 2-3 years with my flipper and no issues. My wife’s flipper is getting dull but it’s also 3 or 4 years old

OP
OP
C

CampAquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the nano flipper and have zero issues 6 months of use one blade. Maybe it's slightly bent?
Like the flipper itself is bent? I might think that if the blades were bad in a consistent way. Like if they always only worked on the edges, etc.

But the blades lately have all been bad in different ways. Like one will only work on the right half of it. Then the next will only scrape in like 10 thin little disconnected lines. Then the next will only work on the outside edges. It’s infuriating!!

OP
OP
C

CampAquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been on the same blade for 2-3 years with my flipper and no issues. My wife’s flipper is getting dull but it’s also 3 or 4 years old
That’s what I’d read and why we bought them in the first place! I wonder if we are doing something wrong in keeping/maintaining them. Do you leave yours in the tank? Or do you remove it each time and store it elsewhere? Do you clean the flippers themselves?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both stay in the tank. I never really notice any build up on the blades and can’t say I’ve ever really cleaned them. It might get taken out to be used in the freshwater cichlid tank but that’d be about it.
That’s what I’d read and why we bought them in the first place! I wonder if we are doing something wrong in keeping/maintaining them. Do you leave yours in the tank? Or do you remove it each time and store it elsewhere? Do you clean the flippers themselves?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back