What kind of nem is this?

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trade it in for credit at the LFS, but don't let it go back into the wild.
Why
There were some post and videos of it hosting clownfish in captivity

I'm not sure if KrisReef is concerned about it being an invasive species, (it's not, but good to be concerned), or if he's worried about possibly introducing a pathogen from the OP's tank into the wild via the anemone, (possible, but unlikely).

This particular anemone is bleached and most likely will not survive in the wild as it is. Since it is bleached, it will probably not have the ability to sting and kill clowns. This anemone can be rehabilitated and brought back to full health. In it's currently condition, I doubt any LFS would pay (cash or store credit) to take it. Might take it for free, who knows?

I would suggest getting the anemone healthy and then trying to trade it in to the LFS or sell it to a local hobbyist, but this will take several months.

KrisReef is correct in stating the anemone probably should not be released into the wild since it could introduce a pathogen into the wild that could be in the OP's tank. I feel it is unlikely, but that is the best practice. It's possible there is a pathogen in the OP's tank that is not native to the area and the indigenous population of S.helianthus would be unable to handle it and get wiped out. I doubt it, but it is possible.

S.helianthus can be a pretty anemone in captivity. I would give it 6 months and see how you like it when it's healthy. Dont like it then, trade it off to someone else or sell it to the LFS.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back