What made you get into keeping reef tanks?

Gumbies R Us

God, Bouldering, and Reefing
View Badges
Joined
Nov 10, 2022
Messages
30,941
Reaction score
54,423
Location
North Georgia
Seller Rating
5 ★
Rating Count
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I always like to learn from people is why they got into reef keeping. Maybe it is because they also had friends and family who had tanks and wanted one. Perhaps it's because they wanted to take some of the ocean home. Or is it because they wanted a new, refreshing hobby with a good challenge? I am wondering why YOU got into reef keeping. Photo Credit: @Sump Crab

349B5C23-298D-4F61-914E-88F161A69054.jpeg
 
I wanted to be a marine biologist or oceanographer as a kid. I’ve always been drawn to the mystery and wonderment of the world’s oceans and inhabitants. Watching national geographic documentaries and visiting aquariums always gave me a thrill. Though my path in life didn’t take me there, I still enjoy it as best I can from my location and position in life.
 
Fell in the trap of influence from my father when i was a kid
Same with me! Watched Finding Nemo. Mom wanted Nemo. Dad got Nemo. Dad got addicted to Nemo. Now here I am. :face-with-tears-of-joy: Thanks, Pixar!
 
I heard that there's a lot of money to be made fragging corals since my crypto crashed. That's why I'm here, trying to make millions!!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
 
One thing I always like to learn from people is why they got into reef keeping. Maybe it is because they also had friends and family who had tanks and wanted one. Perhaps it's because they wanted to take some of the ocean home. Or is it because they wanted a new, refreshing hobby with a good challenge? I am wondering why YOU got into reef keeping. Photo Credit: @Sump Crab

349B5C23-298D-4F61-914E-88F161A69054.jpeg

First of all I'm honored you used one of my photos, thank you!

I am obsessed with fishing and have been for as long as I can remember. Becuase of that I always had a freshwater aquarium in my room growing up, in fact I cannot recall a time I didn't have one. In high school a buddy of mine got a saltwater FOWLR and I instantly had to have one too! Not only were the fish amazing but the life that came on the ocean liverock was incredible as well. That was around 2005 and I have had a reef tank ever since!
 
I have no idea why I got into this. People ask me that question often. I live in Ohio. No ocean nearby, I didn't grow up around tanks, didn't go to the aquarium as a kid, nobody I knew had a tank. I one day just decided to go get a 20G high from petco with a few pounds of live rock and some HoB filtration. Been downhill ever since lol. Anybody else not know why they got into it?
 
I'm not gonna lie, it was Finding Nemo that came out when I was a child. Been hooked ever since!
I've heard that from a lot of people! We had most of the fish from finding Nemo when I was a kid.
 
My son has a tank, and I was always watching his fish, so he bought me a 15 gallon for mother's day. I'm obsessed.
That is cool that your son got you into the hobby! What kind of 15g did you get?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new