What makes a good protein skimmer?

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact time. The pump. I can make a diy skimmer with a piece of pvc tube and an air stone and air pump. It will work. Doesnt make it better than say the $800 ferrari skimmer the op is talking about.
For me. Its fit. Form. And function. Cost is their too.

In the pics the skimate looks wet. I would lower the water level down in the skimmer body and let the foam build up over a day. If it needs a 1/16th turn to raise. Raise. Wait awhile. Do again. Lol.

Darker chunkier skimate is prefered over wet skimate imo.
D

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search with the terms "Ken Feldman Protein Skimmer". His research group did studies 11 years ago on skimmers and found there wasn't any real difference beteeen the different brands/models. Bubbles is bubbles. You should note there is no quantitative measurement for skimmers like there is for lights or pumps.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people don't like the fact that the pump is inside the DT, other than that it's a good skimmer. You can tape the lid down, add airline tubing through the lid and drain the skimmate to a pail .

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A study done 11 yrs ago and self exp are diffrent. Go buy 6 skimmers and run em all on your tank for a yr each. You will find one you like over others. Micro bubbles matter. The diameter of the bubble does matter. Lol.
The contact time does matter.
I always recomend life reefs. They are universal. Ext. Int. Any good size gph pump will make bubbles.

Also have u looked at a skimmer made 11 yrs ago vs the ones they sell today?
The one i recommend prob being made more than 11 yrs ago fwiw.
When purchasing a skimmer. Look at the gph flow of the pump and the air intake if they provide it. More air is better. Lol.
D

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing how Beckett injection style skimmers are making a comeback. Lifereef is def a big part of that. Imo they work well but there’s reasons why pretty much all skimmers are Venturi design nowadays

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason is fit form and function. People see equal results with their eyes from a skimmer with the pump directly below the wine style body skimmer with dc pump as they do a big industrial skimmer with a high electric bill and plumbing galore. Lol. Like the poster said about the study. I guess i am butt backwards. LoL
D

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a seaclone 150.. works great. The inly mod i had to do was add a rubber band on the collection cup neck to act as an o ring. Without that It leaks water into itself from below the cup.. and past the neck and causes the bubbles building up in the tube to drop each time it leaks. And it keeps the skimmer from working properly.

Here is my 150, im emptying it daily. It gets full of tea colored stinky liquid every day. I paid only 55$ for it. I had chewys 30% auto ship thing which i canceled after i ordered it. And i had the 15$ off 50$ coulon you cab get online for chewy. Mine didnt need any break in period. Once i did the rubber band trick it worked immediatly

20210212_085126.jpg 20210212_024445.jpg 20210211_235804.jpg

Yep! That definitely is a $50 skimmer.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason is fit form and function. People see equal results with their eyes from a skimmer with the pump directly below the wine style body skimmer with dc pump as they do a big industrial skimmer with a high electric bill and plumbing galore. Lol. Like the poster said about the study. I guess i am butt backwards. LoL
D
Lol
Skimmers have come a long way in 11 years

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search with the terms "Ken Feldman Protein Skimmer". His research group did studies 11 years ago on skimmers and found there wasn't any real difference beteeen the different brands/models. Bubbles is bubbles. You should note there is no quantitative measurement for skimmers like there is for lights or pumps.
Sure there’s a difference. Put 2 skimmers in the same tank at the same time and the one that collects more skimmate is better. What you will find is that smaller more abundant bubbles with the right amount of turbulence, flowing in the right direction in the right shape vessel will produce more skimmate.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to argue with you. Many people here are saying it's not working right. Including me. If you're happy that's all that counts. Enjoy!
Why isnt it working right with you.. have you tried to seal the collection cup like i suggested. Use teflon tape or a rubber band. I garuntee itll work after that.. specially if you dial near wide open and turn it just a little so it flows decently on the bubbles

Or are you gonna whine about it not working. And go after me about ( not wanting to argue) no one is arguing btw.. last guy who said that to me in person i chewed his butt out about having mental problems and being a big baby.

Can you not have a discussion without thinking its an argument lol

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Mrc MR2 is the skimmer I have . When you mentioned Beckett I assumed the same style as mine .

the only issue I had was sealing the injector inside the Beckett ...

T tape around the top and bottom of the injector fixed it
Got a pic of tbe injector? The bashsea is easily separated for cleaning.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why isnt it working right with you.. have you tried to seal the collection cup like i suggested. Use teflon tape or a rubber band. I garuntee itll work after that.. specially if you dial near wide open and turn it just a little so it flows decently on the bubbles

Or are you gonna whine about it not working. And go after me about ( not wanting to argue) no one is arguing btw.. last guy who said that to me in person i chewed his butt out about having mental problems and being a big baby.

Can you not have s discussion without thinming its an argument lol
I don't have a $50 skimmer. I didn't have to "mod" my skimmer when I bought it new. And I don't "have" to empty my skimmer every day. Chew all you want big boy!

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Reef Octopus 150 EXT. If you have the room outside your sump I highly recommend. I have been running it for years and I just added the motorized neck cleaner thingy a few months ago too.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Reef Octopus 150 EXT. If you have the room outside your sump I highly recommend. I have been running it for years and I just added the motorized neck cleaner thingy a few months ago too.
Agree. I have the 200 ext. I'll never do an in sump skimmer again.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a coral box skimmer for a really good deal used . My old skimmer just had a ac pump this coral box has a dc pump with float switch I think the dc pump in a skimmer is awsome and more easy to tune . I don’t think you should have to mod the heck out of a skimmer to make it work good . With a good skimmer it’s just plug and dial in

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok and ? It works great i think lol.. had to empty it every day since ive had it. Nasty smelling liquid.
As mentioned darker more concentrated skimmate is the goal for most. Don’t know the size of your tank but keep an eye on salinity because you’re taking out saltwater and probably topping off with fresh

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back