What makes Achilles tang expert only?

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says what makes the Achilles tang an expert only fish? I have been contemplating adding one but was wondering what makes it have a low survival rating. There is nothing definitive on the web that I can find; some say it easy and takes no special care, some say ich prone like powder blue, some say tough to feed (hard to imagine for a tang), some say requires a ton of flow, some say it just dies. So what is it that makes this fish so difficult (or is it all of the above)? How would it fair getting added with a powder blue (4 in), yellow belly regal (3 in), and yellow (5 in and about 3/4 in thick). I have a lot of flow, feed twice a day, clean water, and a decent size tank. Trying to decide between this tang or a nice fairy wrasse.

Last edited:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're just over all a pretty sensitive fish. Can be hard to feed and prone to ich. I've seen it work with PB's in large tanks (4-500 gallons) but they generally don't care for each other.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think expert can sometimes be a loose term that can mean one or more of many possible things. Jordan that would be a great thread to start, I'm sure you would get some really great answers on the subject. I'd encourage you to put it in reef discussion though, it might get a few more views.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is when is one considered an expert?

Very good question...lol. I don't know that any of us are really experts as there is always someone who knows a bit more about each topic. Expert only to me means a number of different things. In no certain order....

-You need to have excellent water quality (stable temp, parameters).
-You need to feed a variety of quality foods and feed regularly to ensure proper fish health.
-You "may" need to have a QT tank setup - both for initial acclimation and for treating for disease before and / or after introduction to display tank (although this is recommended for all fish).
-You need to be able to identify and properly treat any disease that may develop on the livestock (if possible).
-You need to KNOW and study the proper behavior of the specimen (feeding, swimming, etc).

Expert only (to me) says that it is not just a fish that you can temp acclimate, throw in the tank, and expect great results most of the time (like a damsel for example). It does require more effort than other fish. Some get lucky and don't have any issues. Some put them in the tank, stress the fish, infect all other inhabitants, and lose most (if not all of) the tank's livestock. If you are not prepared to handle such a situation, you should think long and hard before trying to keep them.

Just my opinion, of course....: )

Last edited:

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High failure rate, high price for a good one, sensitive needs and a dedicated reefkeeper are needed = expert.

someone who will study and research them to make them comfortable in captivity so they wont get stressed and die.

-Rick

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to aquaph8 and soccerbag! I had been asking myself the same question while contemplating adding an achilles to my tank. After spending a ton of time researching, what I came to as the consensus is that 1) they are 'softer' than average and can be easily damaged in collecting, shipping and acclimating; 2) for whatever reason they can be difficult to get to eat - not typical at least compared to my other tangs who are part cow 3) they are very prone to ich and 4) they require a lot of open swimming space and a strong current. That said, however, it seemed to me that if you could provide the right environment and be willing to do a little 'extra' .... if the fish survived the shipping and acclimation period then they were no more difficult than your other tangs.

I bit the bullet two weeks ago and purchased one. I then did what most consider a major 'no-no' - I did not quarantine him but put him directly in my display tank. My reasoning, faulty as it may be, was that the dt would be the least stressful on him. He came from LA and shipped in in good weight and condition so I took the risk - fully understanding the potential consequences. First day I thought I was golden .... came out of acclimating and went right to picking at the rocks and swimming in the open. Next 4-5 days weren't as great, did not want to eat the usual offerings and seemed stressed - active still after lights out etc ..... but after i got him eating again - which did take some time and extra effort - ..... he is now at home and acting like the rest of the crew - pigging out on algae sheets and mixed seafood and mysis. By no means does the two weeks make it a success yet but with the way he is now behaving I really feel that we're 'over the hump' and it will be 'easy' not 'expert' from here on.

I don't know how he would get along with the pbt .... but will say he is part of the gang thus far in my tank. His companions are a yellow, regal and kole tang, foxface, pair of melanarus wrasse, anthias and clowns. The only aggression I had at all was the from the Kole on the first day - and it was mild, never any sword-fighting, just a little bit of chasing and they now hang together without issue.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
expert only = leave it in the ocean

How do you justify this statement? Most of the acropora in this hobby are considered "expert only". I think as stated above the definition of "expert" is variable.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back