What Media Should I Use?

Misbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

If I were to use the Seachem Tidal 35, what media should I place in it? This would be a softy/lps tank.

Should I add carbon and run it constantly? It seems there are some drawbacks to using carbon as well?

Also, is it worth adding biological media if the rock and sand already does that? If I discard these things the only point of the filter seems to be to aerate the water and run it through mechanical filtration, like a filter sock. :D

Please help me with these kinds of decisions and feel free to share your experience. I'm just starting to plan things and add the prices up.

Thanks,

Misbar

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mechanical filtration and aeration alone make the HOB worth it in my opinion, but I've never used an HOB on a reef tank. What size tank will this be? I run carbon on my 125 24/7 and have had only good results. Of course you could use chemipure or carbon as needed and it's easy to remove. I'm sure someone with more HOB experience can give better advice.

OP
OP
M

Misbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply.

I think my stand will work best for 2 ten gallon tanks(budget plays a role too). If I successfully keep one tank, I will setup the second as possibly a frag tank.

To me, I don't think drilling a 10 gallon tank would be worth the cost of a sump.... And I could get by without a skimmer.

I'm open to any advice though, as I've never done it before. Thanks in advance guys!

Misbar

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. With sufficient bio-filtration in the tank (rock/sand), mechanical filtration through the HOB, and a regular water change schedule, I think you will be fine. Again that's just my opinion.

OP
OP
M

Misbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response.

I guess I will run a constant amount of carbon, but not a lot of it. If I were to buy carbon alone, like the BRS roxx, what kind of media bag would it fit inside of? I wouldn't want it too leak into the tank.

Thank you for your time,

Misbar

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS sells media bags. Probably not the cheapest, but they're well put together and reusable. I use the BRS 0.8 ROX carbon. Again not the cheapest, but very high quality and very little rinsing required.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back