What might be going on

docjonas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a forktail blenny. Its very active and likes to attach itself to the wall to sleep. Generally, it eats like a pig. Five days ago, it stopped eating. The next day, it could not attach itself to the wall and became weak. I moved it to a qt tank when it couldnt resist the pull of my wavemaker. Besides not being able to stick to the wall, it developed a vertical black band on its tail. I treated with prazipro. It appeared dead several times, but would start swimming when i tried to get it. It still isnt eating, but is now swimming better and the black band is gone. The fish seems less stressed( breathing better). It hasn’t tried to stick to the wall. My question is what might have happened? All other fish are fine. No new fish for two months(all qt). I did add some snails and a fireshrimp that were quarantined by dr reef. My first thought was flukes. Parameter wise, my phosphates are high at 0.08. Salinity 1.024, nitrates 5, ammonia 0.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a forktail blenny. Its very active and likes to attach itself to the wall to sleep. Generally, it eats like a pig. Five days ago, it stopped eating. The next day, it could not attach itself to the wall and became weak. I moved it to a qt tank when it couldnt resist the pull of my wavemaker. Besides not being able to stick to the wall, it developed a vertical black band on its tail. I treated with prazipro. It appeared dead several times, but would start swimming when i tried to get it. It still isnt eating, but is now swimming better and the black band is gone. The fish seems less stressed( breathing better). It hasn’t tried to stick to the wall. My question is what might have happened? All other fish are fine. No new fish for two months(all qt). I did add some snails and a fireshrimp that were quarantined by dr reef. My first thought was flukes. Parameter wise, my phosphates are high at 0.08. Salinity 1.024, nitrates 5, ammonia 0.
Dont think this is a prazi issue. Has fish lost weight?
What were you feeding it?
Is fish breathing normal or labored?
Can you post a video of at least 20 seconds and even pics under white lighting ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long ago did you treat with Prazipro? Sometimes, in diagnosing aquarium issues, we have to rely on secondary clues - so if the Prazipro truly was beneficial, then the problem must be flukes, as that is the only thing prazipro treats.

However, the fish still isn't eating. that means either the prazipro didn't actually help (and the issue isn't flukes after all) or the blenny had flukes so bad that removing them allowed for secondary infection of bacteria.

Jay

OP
OP
D

docjonas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago did you treat with Prazipro? Sometimes, in diagnosing aquarium issues, we have to rely on secondary clues - so if the Prazipro truly was beneficial, then the problem must be flukes, as that is the only thing prazipro treats.

However, the fish still isn't eating. that means either the prazipro didn't actually help (and the issue isn't flukes after all) or the blenny had flukes so bad that removing them allowed for secondary infection of bacteria.

Jay
I treated 4 days ago. I treated my entire tank with api general cure when i notice she was having trouble. She was only in the treated tank for four hours before i had to pull her.

She is generally pretty fat and doesnt look emaciated. I will try to get some pictures later. She was hiding before i went to work.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back