What mode for max spect gyre230

Skibi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title states trying to figure out what mode to run the gyre in. There are gyres on either end of the tank also about 2-3 inches below waterline horizontal. I have mostly lps/sps with spa being the focus. Tank is a reefer250 (3ft tank) any suggestions appreciated.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a 3ft tank you're really going to find how much water gyres can move. the lunar tidal mode and oceanic gyre modes both create strong flow but I found when they simulate the tide rolling in and out it completely shifted the substrate in my tank, sometime onto corals even at the lowest setting.
in the end I actually did 6 custom 4-hour programs which I found in owners manual as an example. it allowed me to tune the strength down where I needed it and best of all, I gained familiarity with the controller and learned how to adjust it.
one thing to definitely be aware of is that the blades are marked "A" and "B" which matters as one is stronger when rotating forward and the other backward. I just played around with them until I found what best suited my set-up and I always make sure assemble them the same way when I clean.

OP
OP
Skibi

Skibi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I was running the LTC but switched to pulsing bc I wasn't getting enough movement I felt like maybe I just needed to up the percentages.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I was running the LTC but switched to pulsing bc I wasn't getting enough movement I felt like maybe I just needed to up the percentages.
for sure!
the LTC's flow is fairly calm for the majority of the 24 hour program aside from 2 cycles in the program, tide in and tide out. during those times the flow really gets ripping but I was unaware as they seemed to happen around midnight and early in the morning if I remember correctly.
I am very happy with the custom program I borrowed as it incorporates every pattern the gyre is capable of and produces what every sps dominant tank seeks... random chaotic flow.
this is the program I'm referring to:
Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 8.09.17 AM.png

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 125 i use one Gyre in random mode and the other in pulse mode. Have a nice sway on the corals and it is up to 70%.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool thanks! You said it's in the manual to program it? It's exactly what I'm looking for random chaotic flow!
yes sir, the manual will cover it. I've read programming the controller is confusing for some people but I assure you it is extremely easy and once you've done it once it is very easy to make adjustments in the future should you need.

Back