What Needs The Most Improvement In The Hobby?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way that a single probe would be able detect all the parameters. As they require different reagents to detect. Sadly our hobby is really small. Not many people keep aquariums any more it requires effort and people today want hobby’s that require no physical effort so they sit on there phones and do Facebook. [emoji3]

Myk

Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is missing a few, but I would be perfectly happy with what it does cover. Even if all it did was give me a constant reliable feed of Alk and pH without having to calibrate I would be more than pleased!

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is missing a few, but I would be perfectly happy with what it does cover. Even if all it did was give me a constant reliable feed of Alk and pH without having to calibrate I would be more than pleased!

Isn't that Mind thing supposedly going to be around $800? With monthly catridge replacements? Personally, I don't think it's ever coming out.

I would like a probe, a big fat one, that has all of the separate probes inside it. The ones we have available now. Every probe the apex can handle in one unit. It doesn't have to be individual probes in it, just the individual monitoring methods.

wopadobop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better connectivity ! It blows my mind that I can buy a 60 dollar tablet that I turn on and it just friggin works . Every tried to hook up a GHLControl doser ? Nightmare !

Companies need to hire app developers . Raspberry pi is cheap so if it can be Bluetooth , it should be Bluetooth .

Myk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am keeping my fingers crossed. The benefit to the mindstream and the disc replacements would be that you need not calibrate. The problem with probes and the way that they work in some instances is that they need to be calibrated very regularly and and can easily give a false reading if not kept up with. This can be really bad in the case of a pH probe if it is controlling a piece of dosing gear.

madducks42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better connectivity ! It blows my mind that I can buy a 60 dollar tablet that I turn on and it just friggin works . Every tried to hook up a GHLControl doser ? Nightmare !

Companies need to hire app developers . Raspberry pi is cheap so if it can be Bluetooth , it should be Bluetooth .

Could not agree with this more! We have two AI Hydra 52's that constantly lose wi-fi access. They're literally 15ft from the router and can't connect to it. We ended up getting a wifi booster and setting it up six inches from them and we still have problems! Both of us work in IT/software engineering and find it incredibly annoying how crappy many of these devices are at connectivity. It's really not that hard or expensive to do.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could not agree with this more! We have two AI Hydra 52's that constantly lose wi-fi access. They're literally 15ft from the router and can't connect to it. We ended up getting a wifi booster and setting it up six inches from them and we still have problems! Both of us work in IT/software engineering and find it incredibly annoying how crappy many of these devices are at connectivity. It's really not that hard or expensive to do.

I have the original AI Primes on my tank. I figured out that the app tries to switch your phones wifi to the light connection directly (for local control), but it usually times out too fast or your phone just won't connect. I don't even use the local control anymore. I use the cloud control. It works just as fast and you don't have to putz around with the thing for an hour to connect. I swear, if I have to hold that reset button one more time, lol.

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think LFS should add a "Expert Only Section" to their stores, Not only so people stop buying expensive fish they can't feed flake food to and because my local LFS imports mass amounts of Feather Stars and sells them as "CUC" It's disgusting that they would do this to new reefers. Once I walked in on someone about to buy a MASSIVE red crinoid (about a foot and a half) and I warned him that they are difficult to care for and he said "Your a kid what should you know"

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only Hobbyist who has ever kept a Feather Stars for a long period of time is GlennF and his is a very advanced hobbyist. They should not be allowed to sell them to hobbyist with out a license stating care.

Myk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not promoting that these be kept by novices, but we have a few out in clients tanks that are going strong for over a year. Heavy feeding with Justin Credabel's Goniopower. One thing of note too is that the ones that have done well seem to have found something to hide under and usually with another filter feeder like Tridacna clams. I found one a couple of months ago in a piece of PVC pipe holding up a frag rack in my coral system. :)

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only Hobbyist who has ever kept a Feather Stars for a long period of time is GlennF and his is a very advanced hobbyist. They should not be allowed to sell them to hobbyist with out a license stating care.

Its not even salt water specific, who has a tank for a redtail catfish, other than a public aquarium? Yet find them in almost all lfs.

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its easier to keep a whale shark with ich than a crinoid :rolleyes:

It's all about the species, my two are of the (Himerometra sp.) genus and can consume larger particles such as Nutramar Ova and PE Callanus, The Red Crinoids (Heterometra sp.)
only appear to consume micron sizes up to 50 microns, I plan on getting a Red Crinoid when I can find one small enough for my 30 Gallon and finding which powdered food mix is best for them. Crinoids are getting more and more popular in 2018 and my LFS currently has a beautiful Purple Specimen but it is about a foot long.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should also keep Whale Sharks :p

Myk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many scoops of Goniopower do you think I should use to feed my new whale shark?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Myk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! One or 2 times per day? :D

I'm gonna have to order a lot more Goniopower!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 :rolleyes:

Tanghoarder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Improving on saltwater stuff prices!!! This seems to be a rich mans hobby compared to freshwater

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the price. I see way cheaper options that will work just fine. But for some reason the industry wants to jack up the prices [emoji857]. Or is it to keep any schmoe from buying marine fish & killing them off due to inexperience?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back