What Newbies should know about keeping Zoas

watercolour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi-

I am a newbie gathering information on the care of Zoas. Maybe some of you more experienced keepers can steer us newbs in the right direction and turn this into a nice "go-to" thread for newbies. I am looking, not only for answers to the obvious questions- lighting, flow, feeding, minerals, supplements, water parameters, placement, etc. but also personal observations, tips and bits of wisdom as well. Anything you think a newbie should know.

Id like to start with a particular question-- Do all Zoas have basically the same requirements?

With that, I'll turn it over to the more experienced.

Last edited:

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa's and Palys are all different with some similarities.

Certain ones like high light to keep color. Some like low light for the same reason.

Flow is different. High flow = longer skirst or High Flow = closed polyp.

I think a better way for the newbs is to just ask about individual pieces... take a picture and ask if anyone has them and where/how they keep them.

I know this sounds like a blow off but in reality they are all different and there really isn't a perfect system that can keep every type out there. For some reason I can't keep Red People Eaters ... I've gotten them from 3 seperate sources (not connect from the same source) and all 3 melted away on me.

I think it's best to just take pics and ask questions..... Besides ... we love pictures.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep every zoanthid is different in different tanks. Some like high light, some like low. Some like high flow and some low. It's best to ask what kind of zoa you have and what they like. But i can tell you the smaller polyp zoanthids like really high flow for me and the palys like a med to low flow.

OP
OP
W

watercolour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do Zoas use up alot of calcium/minerals? Will I have to learn to dose(kalkwasser?) my tank? What do you feed them? Do they require actinic light? Any other do's/don't's? Thanks for all input.

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do Zoas use up alot of calcium/minerals? Will I have to learn to dose(kalkwasser?) my tank? What do you feed them? Do they require actinic light? Any other do's/don't's? Thanks for all input.

If they do use calcium i doubt they would use much. They are not a stoney coral, they are soft. I really don't think they use any.

So no learning how to dose just yet.

I feed my tank Rod's Food .. it feeds my fish, stony corals, inverts, and zoas.

They don't require actinic light... it just makes some of them look cooler.

Do share your frags. :D Don't be afraid to ask questions.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought of zoas as tough coral without a lot of fuss. They tolerate a wide range of light, flow, and water quality conditions. They grow quickly and can be easily fragged. Heck, you can even take 'em out of the water for extended periods of time.

They don't take up a lot of calcium since they do not contain a skeleton. You don't need to feed them anything other than light, though some will accept food (that varies). Nothing requires actinic lighting.

Other do's: check out your local reef club and get some frags from them
Other don'ts: don't spend too much ;)

ServantSoldier

pro am
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main recommendation for people starting or adding a collection is to not be afraid of them. Do a fresh water dip on every new addition or tank change!! They are hardy and can handle a lot.

ServantSoldier

pro am
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A freshwater dip is just that.. submerge them in freshwater for a few minutes. The zoas will close up safely while the pests will die off. I just match the water temp and drop 'em in..

mikesin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was under the understanding that People eaters are paly's and cannot be dipped in fresh water and or iodine dips - is this true?

Thanks

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was under the understanding that People eaters are paly's and cannot be dipped in fresh water and or iodine dips - is this true?

Thanks
People eaters are not palys they are basically just big zoanthids. Their scientific name is Zoanthus Gigantus. Ime they do not like freshwater dips. I usually do tankwater/lugols dips on my people eaters.

Last edited:

mikesin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - wow i'm having a difficult time understanding zoanthids, paly's etc. We are new to saltwater - have a 75G for 6 months now. Decided to start off easy and Purchased some zoanthids, after all they are so easy to keep, well they may be "easy" if you know what you have, :p We purchased blue tubs, Red PE, stardust PE & a candy apple green. We wanted to "clean/dip" but i could not find consistant information on dips, what to do/ what not to do. Why i could NOT find this site earlier? lol. looked for nudi/eggs etc - didn't see any so these guys went in and am hoping for the best. and they are doing well. So for future additions can you talk about what dips are safe with what? And what makes a paly different?
Thanks again.

ServantSoldier

pro am
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well to chime in with my experience with the people eaters and dips.. i've dipped reds in fresh and tmpcc both with no issues. i don't know why they would be any more fragile than many others. However, I did have a colony crash out of the blue while they had been in my system 6 months with no disturbance.. ??

Good luck

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 92 42.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 108 49.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back