What NOT to buy for your SW tank

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used equipment unless you know the person and why they're getting rid of it. Maybe they're getting out of the hobby and have some great stuff, maybe they're ditching their garbage on you while making a buck in the process.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may take some heat for this one... But it seems lots of noobies in the hobby end up with UV sterlizers, they have their uses but those uses usually don't apply to most in home systems.

scp443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do not buy xenia. you should be able to get some for free. also do not buy cheato or common typpes of caulerpa. find a local reefer for this stuff. GSP too. basically anything that if you buy a tiny piece, you have a ton of a year later you should be able to get free or for next to nothing off a local reefer. i call 'em 'reef weeds'.

dont buy a CPR overflow box. get one with a U-tube or get a drilled tank

do not buy the eco-aqualizer. its a magnet. no kidding! they claim that the only thing missing from your aquarium is earths gravitational forces so you have to buy this magnet-merbober for your tank. hmmn.. i wonder whats keeping the water and rocks from floating up into the air?!?! :lol:

stay away from anything making oulandish claims, magic additives, super growth enhancers etc.. instead buy things with chemical names like calcium hydroxide, magnesium, strontium, lugols solution.. also dont buy alkalinity buffer, use baking soda.

dont buy any fish or corals on impulse. very important, research everything first. go to the lfs with a clear picture of what youre looking for. if they dont have it, move on. you dont have to walk out with a new fish or coral every single time you go (jeez i have to take my own advice! its a sickness, thats why we have meetings, more of a support group than a club)

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may take some heat for this one... But it seems lots of noobies in the hobby end up with UV sterlizers, they have their uses but those uses usually don't apply to most in home systems.

I totally agree with you. Most are far too under-powered to effectively kill anything other than your wallet from the electricity is uses. At most it might zap some of the beneficial bacteria in your tank, and they tend to clog and scuzz over easily, limiting their effectiveness. On top of that they tend to be ridiculously expensive for what is basically a UV light bulb and some tubing.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexy shrimp. They will become omnivores and eat palys.
Peppermint shrimp. They will become omnivores and eat your BTAs.

Worth it's money in gold. Spend the $ on quality equipment because even if you decide to sell you can recoup almost as much as you spent.

Emc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexy shrimp eat palys? Seriously? I need to get some sexy shrimp. Don't buy palys unless your sure you don't mind them taking up expensive realestate in a small tank.

coral diver

Old and Wise
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so funny now that we know what not to get and i could safelly say that everyone that posted above are experinced hobbyist, I'm guilty as a newbi i bought rios and prizm HOB skimmer and pc light But you know we were newb and i bet you people who were experienced during that time are laughing at us

Big D

Master of my Domain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthelia... looks great with a lot of flow, but spreads like a weed and takes over everything. You can try to kill it, but it just keeps coming back. :mad: Gotta watch out for Pocillopora too. Mine has spawned a few times in my tank and I have several little micro colonies of it now.

D

Last edited:

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't buy any fish that will force you to upgrade your tank in a few months things happen and your tank isn't always top priority

ofblong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. "fully cured" live rock

No matter what you do, short of having it shipped in a bucket of water (which isnt done) its going to have die off, and still cause a cycle. Dont pay a huge premium for rock advertized as "fully cured". Just my opinion.

wrong tampa bay saltwater ships under water.

ofblong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang off the back overflows....just bite the bullet, and get a drilled tank, your floors, carpet, or the like, will thank you.
glass-holes.com for the undrilled tanks.

The only thing I have to say is, sometimes you have to buy what you can afford. It sounds like most of the reefers on this forum is wealthy.

No Just mid-upper middle class.

The reason companys makes seaclones and rios is they know there is people out there that can not afford top of the line. I have used all the products listed in this thread and they do work, but just not as good as some. There are some people out there that has the same passion for this hobby as most R2R members, but does not have the money to buy top of the line. Have you ever priced a halide system, why do you think I run pc's and have mostly softies.

Lets see $200 for a decent 250w HQI retro system with a 14,000k Bulb or $150 for the right amount of pc lighting to fit under the hood that still wont be enough light. Hmm ill pay the extra $50 (cost of the bulb) for the MH lighting.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB overflows....personally i am sick of looking at mine and the space it takes up. I just did'nt have the time or funds to allow me to drill or pipe down to the sump. :(

wareagle35031

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason companys makes seaclones and rios is they know there is people out there that can not afford top of the line. I have used all the products listed in this thread and they do work, but just not as good as some. There are some people out there that has the same passion for this hobby as most R2R members, but does not have the money to buy top of the line. Have you ever priced a halide system, why do you think I run pc's and have mostly softies.
I know what your saying brother, Hell I still have a seaclone, but I know its crap! I modified it and it works pretty well now, but I think what everyone is saying is if you had the money to do it the way you wanted to. I ran regular flourecent twin strip lights for about 6 months till I got the metal halides I wanted, but instead of buyin pc's 2 weeks earlier, I waited and saved for what I wanted, and I am currently doing the same on a skimmer, I could go out and buy a 100 dollar one now, or I can patch and modify the one I have now to get me by for a little while till I can buy what I want.

By the way what not to put in a tank,

#1 Seaclone skimmer, if you have to do it, or have one now, do the bio ball mod to the maxijet and turn it into a needle wheel.

#2 skilter, if you have that throw it in the garbage.

#3 wet dry filters, you could cut it down for a fuge

#4 Purple up

#5 Sweeping power heads, they clog up and only work for about 2 days

#6 Crushed Coral substrate, this is a great place to build nitrates.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not get those fake coral deco's i hate them!!! I can't stand looking at people's tank with those fake stuff in them!!!

igot2gats

saltwater slappy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used equipment unless you know the person and why they're getting rid of it. Maybe they're getting out of the hobby and have some great stuff, maybe they're ditching their garbage on you while making a buck in the process.

Amen. You don't get a warranty with used equip.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh come on bro. Obviously there are always going to be exceptions to the rule. 99% of the time thats not the case. If you want to pay shipping on that one, be my guest.

i agree NO way its fully submergered in water if it is have fun paying around 1000 for shipping on a large order not worth it!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 43 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back