What now… anyone wanna guide me with what I’m doing wrong..

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’m lost here for a min and would like a little guidance if possible. Thanks about 6 months in. For the most part everyone is pretty happy. I just had been dealing with cyano for the past couple months about and had a week of I finally got it! Then this is the new normal.. is it part of the process? What did I do wrong? What should be my next steps be?

My main attack on the cyano was using a turkey baster and blowing off the top of the sand bed and rocks on a daily basis. Was doing about 20%wc weekly. And changed my chemipure blue to chemipure elite

After about a month a nothing to great I found an article of using coral snow and adding microbacter 7 which I added to my process after a water change. That 2-3 weeks I could notice a daily difference. I thought man I nailed it!

The picture you see is less that 72hrs after water change. And the results were just today which have been very similar over the past 2 weeks.

Where am I at in a stage here? Or what did I add wrong or should I be adding into my maintenance.

Any and all conversation and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2858.jpeg IMG_2856.jpeg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your nitrate at? Po4. @ zero. There in maybe your issue. Possibly too much water change.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I’m lost here for a min and would like a little guidance if possible. Thanks about 6 months in. For the most part everyone is pretty happy. I just had been dealing with cyano for the past couple months about and had a week of I finally got it! Then this is the new normal.. is it part of the process? What did I do wrong? What should be my next steps be?

My main attack on the cyano was using a turkey baster and blowing off the top of the sand bed and rocks on a daily basis. Was doing about 20%wc weekly. And changed my chemipure blue to chemipure elite

After about a month a nothing to great I found an article of using coral snow and adding microbacter 7 which I added to my process after a water change. That 2-3 weeks I could notice a daily difference. I thought man I nailed it!

The picture you see is less that 72hrs after water change. And the results were just today which have been very similar over the past 2 weeks.

Where am I at in a stage here? Or what did I add wrong or should I be adding into my maintenance.

Any and all conversation and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2858.jpeg IMG_2856.jpeg
blowing it around and not siphoning the debris is simply spreading the cells as these blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high. Often, when there are areas with little flow, detritus builds up and becomes a holding bed for cyano. Water changes are important unlike what s the perception of not doing so which reduces the organic nutrients that feed cyano.
Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for red slime algae development
I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If accurate is a good level
Was from a hannah tester. So with my po4 now reading 0 I have bottomed them out in the process of getting rid of the cyano is that what is possibly causing this outbreak of green/brown ??

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Was from a hannah tester. So with my po4 now reading 0 I have bottomed them out in the process of getting rid of the cyano is that what is possibly causing this outbreak of green/brown ??
Unlike cyano, it thrives from silicates. Other causes would be:
- Use of Aminos which will actually feed them.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients =often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured will become a breeding ground for this red slime .
- Not changing your water enough. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is a welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example of po4 and no3 introduction.
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a trigger

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unlike cyano, it thrives from silicates. Other causes would be:
- Use of Aminos which will actually feed them.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients =often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured will become a breeding ground for this red slime .
- Not changing your water enough. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is a welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example of po4 and no3 introduction.
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a trigger
Everything you just described was what I had already went through I believe. What are some of your suggestions for the issues currently?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Everything you just described was what I had already went through I believe. What are some of your suggestions for the issues currently?
3-5 day blackout, add liquid bacteria such as microbacter 7 for 5-7 days at 1.5m/l per 10 gallons and Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1.5ml per 10 gallons and clean and empty skimmer and any filters/filter socks daily

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 189 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back