What order to dose what?

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to dosing so I would like some clarity.

I’d like to know in what order do I dose the big three if I want to raise all three? How far apart? And if dosing alk and cal together is the right way to balance?

seems if I dose alk alone, my alk and cal come up. If I dose cal alone, my alk and cal come up. I’m using BRS sodium bicarbonate for alk. BRS calcium chloride for cal. BRS magnesium for mag.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to dosing so I would like some clarity.

I’d like to know in what order do I dose the big three if I want to raise all three? How far apart? And if dosing alk and cal together is the right way to balance?

seems if I dose alk alone, my alk and cal come up. If I dose cal alone, my alk and cal come up. I’m using BRS sodium bicarbonate for alk. BRS calcium chloride for cal. BRS magnesium for mag.

I dose with the same products with the exception I use Soda Ash for Alk. Any reason for the Sodium Bicarbonate in particular? It is used for large adjustments when Soda Ash is for more subtle changes or maintaining a level.
I first ensure my magnesium is at a good level do to its relationship with calcium and not depleted. If it is good then move to the Calcium and Alkalinity.
I dont have an opinion on which one to do next if you are looking for a 1,2,3. I personally make sure Mg is good then do both Calcium and Alkalinity.

And... Honestly, I don't think there is a wrong answer here as long as you are starting with your numbers in a good spot already.

Zohar78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i believe on red sea bottles it says something like " alk, wait 15mins, cal, wait 15 mins, mag."

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still new to dosing as well. How often do you guys dose these 3? Is a doser required or can it be manually dosed

OP
OP
B

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose with the same products with the exception I use Soda Ash for Alk. Any reason for the Sodium Bicarbonate in particular? It is used for large adjustments when Soda Ash is for more subtle changes or maintaining a level.
I first ensure my magnesium is at a good level do to its relationship with calcium and not depleted. If it is good then move to the Calcium and Alkalinity.
I dont have an opinion on which one to do next if you are looking for a 1,2,3. I personally make sure Mg is good then do both Calcium and Alkalinity.

And... Honestly, I don't think there is a wrong answer here as long as you are starting with your numbers in a good spot already.
I don’t know why I have the sodium bicarbonate. It’s was in BRS 2 part “kit”.

OP
OP
B

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when dosing alk or cal, does everyone just dose both to stay balanced. Even if the other doesn’t need it.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when dosing alk or cal, does everyone just dose both to stay balanced. Even if the other doesn’t need it.
First its interesting that BRS puts Sodium Bicarbonate in the "Kit". I would be my suggestion to first use Soda Ash instead but to each their own.
To your second post, do you have an automated doser or you plan on doing this manually? If manually you be careful not to dose more than the maximum daily dosage to reach your target. I personally am automated and dose daily. I test weekly to monitor changes and if necessary adjust my dosage rate up or down 10% of the current dose amount until I am maintaining once again.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back