what parameters?

person

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, what should be the parameters that i should test for my saltwater aquarium. Also what do you guys thnk about test strips? are they accurate. They seem to be very good since they test multiple things at the same time and they are super cheap.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
super cheap is rarely good in this hobby. Strips are not recommended, better to get quality test kits, salifert and hanna are popular picks.

Do you have an aquarium yet? To start the aquarium, you need ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests to get you through the cycle. Once the tank is cycled, its safe for fish and you can stock slowly. From that point, you only need to test nitrate to keep it in safe levels for fish.

You definately need a refractometer or a digital tester, to test salinity. I suggest to avoid the swing arm hydrometer.. Definately also need a temperature reader. A PH test is useful too have but I never really tested ph myself.

If you get into corals, then you will need alkalinity, calcium, and phosphate tests to start. Thats all I really test, others test for magnesium and iodine, etc... you can decide for yourself when the time comes. Good luck.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with test strips is finding any that are even close to being accurate. For fish only its not as important to be as close to reality as possible a general idea is ok for most parameters. Reef tanks need to be really close. I say really close because I feel all test kits no matter the brand have margin of error whether its from the test or our error. The more you can mitigate that error the better. Hannah are nice as it tells you a number no math or color issues for us to mess up.

I have used and sometimes still do use api tests. Just api tests in my last reef life allowed me to have 2 reef tanks that were very successful. As long as you do the test properly (as with any test) and have a decent eye for the subtle color changes they'll work at least to get you through your first year or so. If you plan on going full blown sps reef I'd look to better testers possibly even something like the auto testers.

As for what test you need depends on what kind of tank you want. Refractometer is number 1. Ammonia test is number 2. Everything else depends on you and your tank. If you are nosy like me I wanted to know where in the initial cycle I was so nitrite and nitrate were needed. Hard corals? Calc, alk, mag, phos are also needed. Maybe not phos at least at first might lead you to more issues then its worth but if you have issues and ask for help we will want to know. The parameters that people trying to help you will need are usually SG, nitrate, calc, alk, mag, phos, temp, ph.

OP
OP
person

person

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
super cheap is rarely good in this hobby. Strips are not recommended, better to get quality test kits, salifert and hanna are popular picks.

Do you have an aquarium yet? To start the aquarium, you need ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests to get you through the cycle. Once the tank is cycled, its safe for fish and you can stock slowly. From that point, you only need to test nitrate to keep it in safe levels for fish.

You definately need a refractometer or a digital tester, to test salinity. I suggest to avoid the swing arm hydrometer.. Definately also need a temperature reader. A PH test is useful too have but I never really tested ph myself.

If you get into corals, then you will need alkalinity, calcium, and phosphate tests to start. Thats all I really test, others test for magnesium and iodine, etc... you can decide for yourself when the time comes. Good luck.
Thank you very much all for ur help. In terms of if I have a tank , yes. It’s a 25g. It was cycled a year ago and was doing really well. I decided to get 2 corals, but then I slacked off and they died. After that I stopped caring about the tank, and would only refill evaporated water. I have 3 mollies, a clownfish, and a fire fish goby. (I think it’s a bit too much but it’s fine…) I’m surprised they survived. But recently i got re motivated and I’m back into it. I’m doing water changes and trying to see how I can test the water (something I never did). I’m practicing and getting good with this tank because I have a 230g tank that we will soon set up, and it will be awesome. Thanks for all of ur helps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back